Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I've been using my new Series 3 for a few days now, and one of the first things I noticed was that the Digital Crown seems to have more of a distinct 'click' than my Series 2 (SS) or what I remember of my Series 0 (Sport). Is this the case for all Series 3 watches, or did I get lucky?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I've been using my new Series 3 for a few days now, and one of the first things I noticed was that the Digital Crown seems to have more of a distinct 'click' than my Series 2 (SS) or what I remember of my Series 0 (Sport). Is this the case for all Series 3 watches, or did I get lucky?

There is nothing abnormal with a different click. My Apple Watch models had different clicks, and others have shared your concerns. There is a seal behind the Digital Crown that might be slightly seated differently from the previous generation Apple Watch that is causing the difference between the clicks in other models.

If it gets worse, then I would address that with Apple, also, sometimes debris/dirt can get embedded between the digital crown and casing, which Apple recommends you can rinse off the Apple Watch by turning the digital crown and then thoroughly drying it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleDavid

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
The crown on my SS S3 doesn't click at all, it's silky smooth. It does get some form of thorough wash every day though as I'm either Running, Cycling or Swimming and it gets good washes after all 3 to get either chlorinated water or sweat off it.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
The crown on my SS S3 doesn't click at all, it's silky smooth. It does get some form of thorough wash every day though as I'm either Running, Cycling or Swimming and it gets good washes after all 3 to get either chlorinated water or sweat off it.
Is it supposed to have no distinct ‘click’? Is the click effect in fact a defect?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Is it supposed to have no distinct ‘click’? Is the click effect in fact a defect?

No, the click is _not_ a defect, as every Apple Watch has a slightly different variant of a click where it might be more pronounced or silent. Not every Apple Watch experiences the exact same clicking sound. It’s nothing to be concerned about, and if you are concerned about it, then have Apple inspect it. , I have had multiple Apple watches and all of them are slightly different.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I received a second watch today, so I'm returning the first one to Apple. Luckily this second one has the click that I desire.

Thanks everyone for your informative answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.