Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walangij

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
MI
I just got one, it is a lot of fun although very difficult to learn. The effect is like on a holga, the center focused with a diffuse blurring on the outside and edges, but on crop cameras there is not the dark vignetted corners on the edges. It's great fun to work with, one of my favorite lenses although it is difficult at times to get the sharpness in images that most of us are accustomed to, but that is also the beauty of it.

peterj1967

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2002
I think you'd be better off just buying a Holga. Go for the full blown experience. They're fun, you can process you're own film and scan what you want to mess with.

And, the complete holga is less then 1/2 the cost of the "Digital Holga Lens"

Buy the Holga...

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
That's so stupid, and flies in the face of what Holga is, anyway.

I wouldn't count it as a Holga unless you fixed your aperture at f/11 and your shutter at 1/100. Even then, wtf? Just get a Holga.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Why not just get a Lensbaby instead? It provides a nice unique look similar to a Holga. The Lensbaby version 1 even has a plastic lens.

But the only way you'll get the real Holga look is to just buy one. They only cost about $30. That way you'll get the nice vignetting.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

It costs $49. You could buy a real Holga cheaper. and don't forget the real Holga uses 6x6 format while the Nikon captures just the little patch in the center. Compared to 35mm film the DSLR is a 1.6xcrop but compared to 120 film the DSLR is a (maybe) 3.0x crop.

Did you know you can microwave the Holga? If you do it "just right" the llens is distorted and maybe gets some bubbles in the plastic. Buy a box of Holgas and experiments They are cheap enough you can afford to break four of them. Try a felt tip pen on the lens too.

I bought my daughter a $30 "hello kitty" digital "keychain" camera for Christmas. It is kind of like a cheap web cam. Takes low res blurry images. It's the modern equivalent of the Holga. Buy one of these. She has taken some really good shots with the littel pink "hello kitty" camera. She actually has an iPhoto library about a hundred images. Many are really good. Buy one of thee kychain camera, I've sen them for under $20

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I agree that lensbaby if your best bet for digital. If you want to do something cheap, just get an old beat up polarizing filter to over saturate colors (you could get a slightly chipped free at a local photo store or something), rub vaseline to get the 'Holga' effect and sprinkle charcoal dust on the edges for uneven vignetting. Not perfect, but the whole point of the Holga is it being quite imperfect.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
All I can say is the whole basis of the holga is the toy camera itself. This only bastardizes the history of holga and further confirms that some lazy bastard who couldn't care less about the process itself is going to get rich because digital photography is full of lazy photographer wannabes.
And yes, I shoot film and digital and I pride myself on both. :)

150hp

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Door County, WI, USA
...The Lensbaby version 1 even has a plastic lens....

Actually, to quote from the Lensbaby website:

"The Original Lensbaby features a single, uncoated optical glass element which is quite sharp at f/5.6 and f/8 but becomes softer and slightly diffused at f/4 and more diffused and impressionistic at f/2.8."

I have a Lensbaby 2.0 for my D70s. It is the only other lens I have besides the 18-70 kit lens. I love it.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Wow, I've never heard of lensbabies before... Looks like the same selective focusing as large format film cameras? Makes me want to buy one for my 35mm and my dSLR.. $270 isn't too much, but I'd like to see more results first. Does anyone have the 3G?

Also, this might be a dumb question, but are there 'large format' digital cameras? Like, you could tilt the lens and the sensor? Hmm.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Also, this might be a dumb question, but are there 'large format' digital cameras? Like, you could tilt the lens and the sensor? Hmm.

Yeah, you can put a digital back on a large format camera. So instead of capturing it on film, it goes digital. Never used it, but I hear it can take a while to process the image...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.