Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marine610610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I have been playing with my new MBP now for a couple of days and im really getting into editing the photos from my personal library. Thinking that i may find iPhoto somewhat limited in the not so distant future i was wondering what other software is out there that other forum members would reccomend. Im also interested in doing some video editing. I looked up the new CS3....but 2,499 is way way off my radar. 1,500 is stil more than i have for this.. Anyway what programs can i get cheap/free or what not that work well for what i am trying to do.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I have been playing with my new MBP now for a couple of days and im really getting into editing the photos from my personal library. Thinking that i may find iPhoto somewhat limited in the not so distant future i was wondering what other software is out there that other forum members would reccomend. Im also interested in doing some video editing. I looked up the new CS3....but 2,499 is way way off my radar. 1,500 is stil more than i have for this.. Anyway what programs can i get cheap/free or what not that work well for what i am trying to do.

You don't have to buy CS3 you can just buy Photoshop CS3 completely separate for $649 USD

marine610610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
I hear ya....

Im new to this kind of software, but i was hoping it would be around 300.00 or so. I looked up Elements on Adobe's sight a couple of minutes ago, why does Windows have 5.0 when Mac has 4.0? Is there a difference in what you are getting or are they the same thing but different version numbers for different OS's ?

marine610610

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2007
Also are there some "add on's" for iPhoto that will let me do a little more there?

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
ok here ya go... this will prolly cover everything u will need

GIMP... great program... its likea slightly watered down version of photoshop, the best part is it is free

The only problem... u need your start up disks, and u need to install X11 to run it

Its worth it

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Another option is to look into Aperture or Lightroom. You can get either for about $150, and they will allow you to organize your library as well as edit your images more precisely. GIMP is OK... it's a poorman's photoshop, and it does quite a bit, I just never enjoyed its interface. Elements is great for minor stuff, and if you're not a Photoshop wiz.
For video, you have an awesome little app in your Aplications folder called iMovie. It really should do most everything you need. Play around with it, and if you need more editing options, look into Final Cut Express.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.