Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkilian

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
I Currently have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and have an opportunity to get a fairly inexpensive, used Canon 10D. I would have to get rid of my XT, so I won't be able to keep both.

In addition to general photography, i take many sports photos (Volleyball, basketball, softball). I do have some very high quality glass to go along with this basic body.

Will i see much of an improvement between the 2 cameras in performance, especially when it comes to the focusing speed?

I think the 10D writs a bit slower to the CF card.

Comments from anyone with direct experience with both cameras is appreciated.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I Currently have a Canon Digital Rebel XT and have an opportunity to get a fairly inexpensive, used Canon 10D. I would have to get rid of my XT, so I won't be able to keep both.

In addition to general photography, i take many sports photos (Volleyball, basketball, softball). I do have some very high quality glass to go along with this basic body.

Will i see much of an improvement between the 2 cameras in performance, especially when it comes to the focusing speed?

I think the 10D writs a bit slower to the CF card.

Comments from anyone with direct experience with both cameras is appreciated.

I can't give you a lot of advice, being a Nikon man. However, glass makes more difference than bodies. I'd keep the XT and just wait to upgrade to a 40D/5D when you get the chance. The XT is a wonderful camera.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
There is no such thing as upgrading backwards. Your camera is years ahead of the 10D in image quality and other areas. The 10D doesn't really offer anything substantial over the Rebel except for body construction. I'd say wait until you have the dough for the 40D or 6D, don't even think about getting the already 3 year old 5D unless you have the L series glass for it.

Buying an older used body as your main body is a slight mistake.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
Plus the 10D does not accept EF-S lenses. Now, if it was a 20D, I'd do it, but then I was never big on the DR body. It's just too small for my fat hands.

Also, the 5D is just over 2 years old.

airmax922

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2007
San Leandro
20D or 30D may make sense. but 10D, no way, from DigicII processor back to Digic , and also from 8Mp to 6Mp and can't use EF-S lens, thumb down!!!
:eek:

scubaj

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2007
I actually had a chance to shoot with both at a football game recently and by the end of the first quarter I was shooting with the XT solely. Even though the body is smaller, the faster write rate, the better image quality and higher noise tolerance blew the larger size of the 10D out of the water. I found it agonizingly frustrating to wait as much as a minute after the buffer filled to take another picture. On the XT, as soon as an image writes, the buffer frees up that much space to keep shooting. On the 10D, it just sat....wouldn't let me do anything. Stay with the XT.

For that matter, the 20D can be had for as little as $500 and change these days, the 30D for around $750, and I am guessing the 40D will drop under $1000 used on forums by the holidays.

After diving in with the XT three years ago, my motto is now to buy bodies on the cheap, and lenses on the upper crust. Bodies come and go, but lenses are forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.