Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteinMaster

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
USA
I have a stack of old photos I want to digitize. I do not want to hire someone to do this. Does anyone have recommendations for a printer/scanner that will allow me to scan and digitize my old photos? I have about 200 photos. Quality of the scanner is important to me.

Thanks

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I don't have any direct experience to give you as it's something I'm going to have to start on before too long. However, this was being talked about here recently and you might find something useful. Good luck!

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Are they prints or negatives? If you only have 200 to scan, it may end up being more cost effective to have someone do it vs. trying to buy a quality scanner. A high end wet slide negative scanner is like $20k or something?

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Are they prints or negatives? If you only have 200 to scan, it may end up being more cost effective to have someone do it vs. trying to buy a quality scanner. A high end wet slide negative scanner is like $20k or something?

I had a big box of old 35mm slides in the closet for years. Sent them off to be scanned. Cost around $200 and the results were very good. They often give you a choice of resolution, whether you want dust spot removal, etc.

Obviously a vastly cheaper way to go than buying the scanner they use!

You don't need an expensive scanner for existing photos, but the internet is full of current info on that subject.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
This takes up a fair chunk of my day job.... Sr Curator of Collections at a Museum in Alaska. We use a Nikon Cool scan for slides, and various Microtek scanners, ArtixScan M1 scanner, ScanMaker 9800XL with TMA, etc. We have good luck for the most part most of these machines weigh in around $900.00 and up. might not be worth it for 200 images. If your images are all look into the latest epson artisan 810. I have one at home and am happy with the output. see ( http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/epson_artisan_810) or (http://www.hardwaregeeks.com/index.php/GadgetBlog/comments/review_epson_artisan_810/ ) or (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357409,00.asp ) Just be prepared to spend some some quality time in Photoshop once you have your images.
The nice thing about the Microtek is the all came with a Kodak target to help keep the unite color calibrated.... then again one gets what they pay for..:)
good luck in your project.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I second (third?) the opinion of those who suggest outsourcing it, unless you see yourself using this scanner on an ongoing basis. Two hundred prints isn't going to cost you all that much, and the results will be far better than anything you can do at home for the same cost. I use an Epson Expression 10000XL at work, and it produces excellent scans. But it costs $2500-$3000.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.