Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabrenox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I have an option to buy a 13 pro (128GB) with $380 off using a gift card or get an SE 2020 (I wont' waiting for se 3, it's too late).
The price difference between the two will be x5.
I read how the battery life of SE sucks, but what annoys me is the face id not recognizing when wearing a face mask. Yes, it'll be nice to have portrait mode and bigger lenses to take pics and videos, but the current restriction around doesn't seem to ease for another few months.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
I think it comes down to how much you care about the cameras.

If you take a few snaps from time to time, the SE has a perfectly serviceable camera and will do fine. In that case, it’s hard to justify the price premium. If mobile photography is important to you, then that’s what the Pro is for.

There are other differences of course, but none that add up to a phone thats several times the price. The FaceID/mask thing is, to me, only a minor annoyance and even in Covid times I still massively prefer it to TouchID. But I know it’s one of those things people have strong views on!

sabrenox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I think it comes down to how much you care about the cameras.

If you take a few snaps from time to time, the SE has a perfectly serviceable camera and will do fine. In that case, it’s hard to justify the price premium. If mobile photography is important to you, then that’s what the Pro is for.

There are other differences of course, but none that add up to a phone thats several times the price. The FaceID/mask thing is, to me, only a minor annoyance and even in Covid times I still massively prefer it to TouchID. But I know it’s one of those things people have strong views on!
Why are you in favor of face id to touch id?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Both methods are fine. Each has their merits. If you’ve got to wear a mask all the time, then obviously Touch ID will be more convenient.

PeteBurgh

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2014
Why are you in favor of face id to touch id?
I use both everyday (I have an iPhone 8 issued by work, but have used FaceID phones and iPads for several years), and both work well most of the time. However, I find TouchID a bit annoying as it doesn’t work when I’m wearing gloves, or my hands are wet. I hike and cook a lot, so these scenarios are fairly common for me.

On the other hand FaceID works perfectly in almost every situation, except when I’m wearing a mask. At the moment, I’m only wearing a mask in fairly limited circumstances - in shops, on public transport, etc - so it’s not that inconvenient to punch in my passcode on those occasions. If I had a job where I had to wear a mask all day, perhaps the calculation would be different.

Both methods are fine. Each has their merits.
Truth! There has been some much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands on this forum over the last few years about TouchID vs FaceID. It’s almost as angsty as the headphone jack bitter-enders! In my view, FaceID is better but both are totally fine.

sabrenox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I use both everyday (I have an iPhone 8 issued by work, but have used FaceID phones and iPads for several years), and both work well most of the time. However, I find TouchID a bit annoying as it doesn’t work when I’m wearing gloves, or my hands are wet. I hike and cook a lot, so these scenarios are fairly common for me.

On the other hand FaceID works perfectly in almost every situation, except when I’m wearing a mask. At the moment, I’m only wearing a mask in fairly limited circumstances - in shops, on public transport, etc - so it’s not that inconvenient to punch in my passcode on those occasions. If I had a job where I had to wear a mask all day, perhaps the calculation would be different.

Truth! There has been some much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands on this forum over the last few years about TouchID vs FaceID. It’s almost as angsty as the headphone jack bitter-enders! In my view, FaceID is better but both are totally fine.
You're right, both have flaws it looks like I gotta decide what I need to give up.
Thanks a bunch for sharing your experience between the two.

Reactions: PeteBurgh

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
I’m coming over from Android so no Face ID there. I’d like both options but between the two I like Face ID much better.

I used to get issues with fingerprint sensors when my hands were wet, dirty, sweaty, etc which is actually quite often. Face ID has no such issues. Now when wearing a mask it’sa problem without the watch which I don’t need or want so I have to either hit my code real quick or drop my mask a second for the id. This has been less of a problem for me overall and in the end I’m not going to be wearing a mask forever. Once my daughter is vaccinated and I have my booster I’ll be less worried about it.

sabrenox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I’m coming over from Android so no Face ID there. I’d like both options but between the two I like Face ID much better.

I used to get issues with fingerprint sensors when my hands were wet, dirty, sweaty, etc which is actually quite often. Face ID has no such issues. Now when wearing a mask it’sa problem without the watch which I don’t need or want so I have to either hit my code real quick or drop my mask a second for the id. This has been less of a problem for me overall and in the end I’m not going to be wearing a mask forever. Once my daughter is vaccinated and I have my booster I’ll be less worried about it.

Yes, I'm not planning to get a watch either.
You're right, fingerprint might have more minor issues than just facing for wearing a mask with face id.

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
One more difference you might consider between iP SE and 13 Pro: 13 Pro will be much heavier. That’s partly why I settled for 13 regular, which is still no lightweight. I read somewhere that 2022 Pro will have titanium case instead of stainless to reduce the weight.

sabrenox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
One more difference you might consider between iP SE and 13 Pro: 13 Pro will be much heavier. That’s partly why I settled for 13 regular, which is still no lightweight. I read somewhere that 2022 Pro will have titanium case instead of stainless to reduce the weight.
How are you finding it? Liking the face id and notch compared to fingerprint and no notch?

yitwail

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
How are you finding it? Liking the face id and notch compared to fingerprint and no notch?
Face ID is overall a great feature, because it’s instant, as long as you look at the screen. If you need to wear a mask frequently, it’s a hassle, but then so is having to tap the home button frequently. The notch is smaller, and not as disruptive as it would be on a 13 mini

sabrenox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Face ID is overall a great feature, because it’s instant, as long as you look at the screen. If you need to wear a mask frequently, it’s a hassle, but then so is having to tap the home button frequently. The notch is smaller, and not as disruptive as it would be on a 13 mini
Thanks for sharing the experience

Reactions: yitwail

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I am on the same boat: SE3 or iPhone 13 mini. I like the 13 mini a lot, it’s all advantages… but Face ID. I’m thinking I really need Touch ID honestly.

The 13 mini has an awesome display, awesome cameras, awesome design, awesome quality build… and I really like this 5,4” screen. But I really need Touch ID.

I take my old iPhone 8 on my other hand, and yeah, it looks worse. It feels worse in my hands. But I use my iPhone a lot on public places, such as the groceries’, inside of the bus or the subway, work or class… so I’m almost always wearing a face mask. So I really need Touch ID on my iPhone. Entering my passcode each time is a hassle and a security risk.

I don’t really know what to do. The 13 mini is the iPhone I’ve always dreamed about. But I cannot use it outside my home without entering my passcode. I don’t even know why Apple didn’t put Touch ID under the screen or in the side button…

And no, face masks are here to stay, sadly. This sixth wave is confirming that the virus is here to stay, and thus, face masks in public places (or even the streets). I will have to make a decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.