Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should I keep the iPad Pro?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Currently, the three main Apple devices I have are my iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Pro 12.9', and retina MacBook Pro 15'.

Historically I've always had an iPhone, iPad and Mac. Last year I had an iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2, and I frequently used both. However, after getting my 6s Plus, I find that I very rarely use my iPad Pro.

The screen on the iPhone is 'big enough' for everything I do, although it isn't ideal. I don't use the Pro functionality (e.g. Apple Pencil) since I have my Mac for all productivity-related tasks.

When I purchased the iPad Pro, I still had my iPhone 6 and frequently used the iPad for video and web browsing. Now, although the iPad IS better than my iPhone in some cases, I don't know if I should sell it while it's still worth something, or keep it.

Any suggestions? (Thanks)

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
If you don't use it why keep it around collecting dust? I'd sell it.

For me I have an iPhone 6s, iPad Mini 2, and Macbook Air 11-inch. All three serve specific functions and I get great use out of all of them on a daily basis:
  • Home = Macbook Air
  • Gym / Couch = iPad Mini 2
  • Outside = iPhone 6s
If you can think of legitimate reasons to keep the iPad around that you get good value out of your $$$, I'd say keep it. Otherwise sell it off to someone who will actually use it and put some dinero back in your pocket :)

Reactions: SuperKerem

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I have essentially the same set up as you: 6+, MBP 13-inch, iPad Pro 12.9. Oh, and iMac.

I use the iPad in my bedroom, mostly to watch TV and browse the net. I do have an Apple Pencil which is gathering dust in a drawer somewhere.

If you need the money, sell the iPad. Otherwise keep it. You never know.

Reactions: SuperKerem

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Why did you buy it in the first place? I've never dropped $1000 on something I might figure out a use for.
Because when I purchased the iPad Pro, I didn't have my 6S+. I used it a lot more when I had my iPhone 6. ;)

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
sell the laptop and get a iMac. At least that is what i have. I sold my mb air for the ipp and have never looked back. I use my ipp easily 10X more than I ever did my laptop. I did buy the pencil but took it back since I wasn't using it but I have the apple smart kb and I love it. Anyway, a little different then what you were asking but I love my ipp and even see less use on the iMac since buying it.

Reactions: alecgold

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
sell the laptop and get a iMac. At least that is what i have. I sold my mb air for the ipp and have never looked back. I use my ipp easily 10X more than I ever did my laptop. I did buy the pencil but took it back since I wasn't using it but I have the apple smart kb and I love it. Anyway, a little different then what you were asking but I love my ipp and even see less use on the iMac since buying it.
Thing is, I have a 'gaming' PC that I built myself (connected to a 30' Apple Cinema Display), and that's already my desktop computer. So unfortunately I don't even know where I would put an iMac!

Speechless

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2015
Non-gentrified Brooklyn.
I'm in the same boat, lol. Thought about selling my iPad Pro but I don't wanna live without it for reasons still unknown..purchased it back in December and it is just a productivity beast. I use it mostly for notes and video streaming while i'm on my rMBP. Forcing myself to use it more.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
i was sworn off iPads, and the only thing that brought me back was the pencil, which i DO love. if there was no pencil (or i didn't care about it) i'd struggle to justify an iPad to myself.

i'm sure the overall form factor is "just right" for a lot of people... for me too many computing tasks feel better (or require) a pocketable mobile or a full laptop. but it *is* "just right" for me as a digital art tool; the tablet functionality is just an indulgent bonus.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
I experienced that I wasn't using my iPad much for a while after my 6+ arrived. I did a lot of the things I used to use my iPad for. If you really don't see another use case for the device, sell it and put the money to some better use.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Thing is, I have a 'gaming' PC that I built myself (connected to a 30' Apple Cinema Display), and that's already my desktop computer. So unfortunately I don't even know where I would put an iMac!
Sounds like you should just sell the laptop and pocket the cash you are considering selling you iPad for. Laptop should fetch you more cash and then you will by default use your ipp more which will cause you to use your iPad more justifying your purchase. Again I'm just recommending what I would do for my uses.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
I've been thinking (and posting) about moving from 9.7" to 12.9."... but yesterday I was on a long flight, and annotating some PDFs for patent bar prep, and the 9.7"+Pencil was truly a perfect experience. It was like holding a notebook; I could have it in my hand, on the tray table, resting on the arm rest, or in my lap. I don't think I could have done it with the 12.9" so... maybe the 9.7" is for me!

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I have a Macbook Air, a PC "server" and my iPad Pro. I'm thinking about getting a MacMini (when and if they refresh them). Then I sill use Jump Desktop and remote into the PC/Mac as needed instead of carrying around a Macbook.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have a Macbook Air, a PC "server" and my iPad Pro. I'm thinking about getting a MacMini (when and if they refresh them). Then I sill use Jump Desktop and remote into the PC/Mac as needed instead of carrying around a Macbook.
I am embarrassed by how much I'm enjoying using Jump Desktop to remote into my iMac. (far better than the other solutions I've tried such as Team Viewer). And now that it looks like we got skunked-out of support for mice in iOS 10, I'll go and order a Citrix X1 Mouse to make a good solution even better.... though Jump Desktop does a great job with the whole touch-to-simulate-a-mouse feature.

Reactions: temna

Jasmynp

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
East Coast, USA
Currently, the three main Apple devices I have are my iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Pro 12.9', and retina MacBook Pro 15'.

Historically I've always had an iPhone, iPad and Mac. Last year I had an iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2, and I frequently used both. However, after getting my 6s Plus, I find that I very rarely use my iPad Pro.

The screen on the iPhone is 'big enough' for everything I do, although it isn't ideal. I don't use the Pro functionality (e.g. Apple Pencil) since I have my Mac for all productivity-related tasks.

When I purchased the iPad Pro, I still had my iPhone 6 and frequently used the iPad for video and web browsing. Now, although the iPad IS better than my iPhone in some cases, I don't know if I should sell it while it's still worth something, or keep it.

Any suggestions? (Thanks)

What did you decide?

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
I had a similar situation where the iPhone 6 rendered my iPad mini obsolete so I sold it. Got the 12.9 IPP instead which in turn rendered my Macbook obsolete. It's the circle of Apple products!

If you're barely using the IPP you might as well sell it. Get some money back and buy more stuff. Just know this, if you live w/o iPad, you're no longer welcome here. Leave! Go now!

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
If you are not using it then might as well get rid.
Went into the apple store today and my words the iPad pro 9.7 is small compared to its bigger brother. So glad I have the 12.9 inch iPad pro.

DontGetTheCheese

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2015
i was sworn off iPads, and the only thing that brought me back was the pencil, which i DO love. if there was no pencil (or i didn't care about it) i'd struggle to justify an iPad to myself.

i'm sure the overall form factor is "just right" for a lot of people... for me too many computing tasks feel better (or require) a pocketable mobile or a full laptop. but it *is* "just right" for me as a digital art tool; the tablet functionality is just an indulgent bonus.

It's a weird dynamic. I use my Air 2 all the time. It's my portable device. But the thing is, it doen't do anything better than a rMB, except usability for content. It's harder to write / edit content with it, the software is more limited, you can do things on it but you can't build things (the kind I might at least) on it, file management can be miserable and so on and so forth. It's a very limited device that is arguably less powerful than a iPhone because you can't make phone calls on it.

Yet, I have one and have been thinking about upgrading to a 12.9 pro too. The only thing that has stopped me is the price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.