Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ramzito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am a bit in a tricky situation and do not know what would be the best for me.
My toddler threw my iPad 10.5 on the floor during a tantrum and cracked the whole screen. It is still functional and she is still able to watch videos on it, but I want to repair for many reasons. My primary iPad is an iPad air 2 which I have since 2014 and runs on iOS 9.3 (I have old games on it). I have at best one year of usage left with it (old battery, cracked screen, many websites are not viewable anymore on safari), so I was looking forward to switching to my other iPad.
The iPad 10.5 runs on iOS 10 and was never updated as it’s fully loaded with games that did not survive iOS 11. It also has 256 gb of memory space.

I went to 3 repair shops and all quoted the same price for screen repair: 280 euros + 47 if I want a new battery (a new battery is not a bad idea actually). One repair shop was honest with me and told me that repairs are not long term solutions and the replacement parts are more fragile than the original ones.
Apple does not do repairs but can replace my iPad with a new one (same model) for 490 euros.

Both these options are expensive, especially when I could get a new Ipad at the same price.
What do you recommend that I do? Repair it, ask for a replacement at Apple or simply wait out until it dies and then buy a new one?
I am just sad to throw away an iPad that cost me 900 bucks…
Thanks for any advice!

jadenmath

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2021
Honestly, I would repair it, as the 10.5 in iPad is a great and fast device even today (have one on iPadOS 14 myself). Seems like you have apps only iOS 10 supports, so getting a new one would have those apps be useless. Dunno why Apple would give you a replacement unless you have Apple Care +. If you want to move on, the iPad Air 4 holds some great value for the price :)

Ramzito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2021
Thanks for your replies! Supposing I go for a new iPad, what do I do with the one with the cracked screen? It is still functional after all… I will try the tampered glass screen protector, might prolong its lifespan…

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Guess it depends on how much you really want to keep access to those old unsupported games?

Just a note - the iPad 9 is most likely going to be announced shortly (Sep 14) and a lot of people think it may end up being basically a repackaged iPad Pro 10.5/Air 3 form factor with a non-laminated screen at a lower price and probably less than the cost to repair your 10.5.

Also as noted above, adding a tempered glass screen protector can be a good option if it doesn't bother you that much. That is what I did with my iPad Pro 11 as the cost to replace the screen just wasn't worth it to me when for slightly more I could get something else. So I got an iPad Air 4 and the tempered glass cover for the 11 for about $100 more than they wanted to replace the screen and use them both!

Ramzito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2021
Guess it depends on how much you really want to keep access to those old unsupported games?

Just a note - the iPad 9 is most likely going to be announced shortly (Sep 14) and a lot of people think it may end up being basically a repackaged iPad Pro 10.5/Air 3 form factor with a non-laminated screen at a lower price and probably less than the cost to repair your 10.5.

Also as noted above, adding a tempered glass screen protector can be a good option if it doesn't bother you that much. That is what I did with my iPad Pro 11 as the cost to replace the screen just wasn't worth it to me when for slightly more I could get something else. So I got an iPad Air 4 and the tempered glass cover for the 11 for about $100 more than they wanted to replace the screen and use them both!
Good points!
Assuming that I accept the loss of these old unsupported apps, is it worth it shelling 490 euros to get my iPad replaced by Apple? At least, I know it will be a quality replacement and I will keep an iPad with a decent memory size.

titoaida2078

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2020
Good points!
Assuming that I accept the loss of these old unsupported apps, is it worth it shelling 490 euros to get my iPad replaced by Apple? At least, I know it will be a quality replacement and I will keep an iPad with a decent memory size.

Is there no equivalent apps to the ones you’re using? If you get a replacement or buy one being released soon might want to get AppleCare. Saved me lots of bucks plus I put a glass screen protector on it and now it has a crack on the protectors top left

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.