Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgenius0412

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Hello all,

I came across a quite disturbing issue. Well, as of last week my local university campus had decided to shut off my ethernet port because I was using a router/switch which goes against their guidelines. (stupid IT department) I tried explaining to them I still needed to use my airport extreme base station because I wanted my Apple Watch, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone all on the same network and able to share files and such. they said No go on the switch. I said "hmmmm theres a way around everything" so what I did was use my Mac Pro's 2 ethernet ports and shared the connection across the two. the wall jack (ethernet port 1 into the mac) and into my Airport Extreme base station. the problem I am having now is that I don't want anyone on the school side of the network to see my computer in the shares. but I want all my other devices on E-port 2 (which goes to the airport extreme base station) to still be able to chat with the file sharing services.

so in other words.

Eo1 is sharing a connection to eo2

I don't want file sharing services on eo1 only on eo2.

can I disable file sharing only on eo1? or is this impossible.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 12.54.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 12.54.37 AM.png
    450.1 KB · Views: 150

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Perhaps someone can give you a quick answer...I don't have one.

It might be possible by extraordinary configuration of the macOS firewall (PF: Packet Filter). Check out the documentation and forum for the app Murus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.