Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcayce

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2009
I'm installing Pro Tools, a resource-intensive Digital Audio Workstation app, and one of the optimization tips calls for turning off Spotlight so it won't be indexing in the background. I'd rather not do that because it breaks my find/search functionality. If I set up a separate user account can I disable spotlight for only that account?

Thanks

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
My Spotlight settings seem to carry over from account to account. Tested by inserting a USB flash drive, adding it to the “Privacy” list in Spotlight prefs, and then switching accounts. It’s in the Privacy list on both accounts.

There are Terminal commands that will disable or enable Spotlight indexing. I think when it’s disabled you can’t use Spotlight but when it’s re-enabled the ability comes back and Spotlight doesn’t have to re-index everything the way it would if you add/remove items from the Privacy list.

Otherwise, you can just try using Pro Tools with it on and see if you have any problems. Do users report issues if it’s on?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm installing Pro Tools, a resource-intensive Digital Audio Workstation app, and one of the optimization tips calls for turning off Spotlight so it won't be indexing in the background. I'd rather not do that because it breaks my find/search functionality. If I set up a separate user account can I disable spotlight for only that account?

Thanks
I'm not sure where that app keeps its working files... but I'm wondering if you could make an account to use with that app, then go to Spotlight prefs in the Privacy pane and add the user folder for that entire account. What I am thinking is if that apps creates a lot of files that would need to be indexed and that causes a slowdown, if those same files are all in the users folder, turning off indexing in that folder would do the trick. That way Spotlight would still work in other user accounts.

Just a theory.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I disable Spotlight on ALL of my Macs.
I don't need it, nor do I want it "mucking around in the background". I want it gone!

To disable Spotlight indexing, use this in terminal:
sudo mdutil -a -i off

To stop indexing of ALL volumes, try this:
sudo defaults write /.Spotlight-V100/VolumeConfiguration Exclusions -array "/Volumes"

If you're worried about finding/searching, I would recommend two small free apps that work BETTER THAN Spotlight when you need them.
1. EasyFind:
http://www.devontechnologies.com/download/products.html
2. Find Any File:
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I do like, and use extensively, Find Any File. But I also use Spotlight (via Houdahspot) from time to time, for more sophisticated searches. The reason the "disable Spotlight" setting moves from user to user is that the information not to index a drive is recorded on the drive itself, not in user settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.