Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crimson Hikari

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
I'm trying to attach a usb flash drive to our modem/router (some Technicolor monstrosity our ISP insists on) for sharing files between my mac and my mother's.

To attach storage, the external drive needs to be formatted to Mac OS Extended/HFS+ (Not Journaled), but Disk Utility does not allow this, even with using the Option key under 'File'; it appears greyed out.

I'd resort to FAT32, but there is the possibility of files being bigger than 4GB, so it really isn't ideal.

Does anyone have a solution, or an alternate way to format the drive? So far, every solution I've seen is seemingly outdated.

OS version is Sierra, 10.12.1.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 01.24.54.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 01.24.54.png
    103 KB · Views: 770

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You should be able to do this in Terminal.

Run this command to see the physical disk number.

Code:
diskutil list

Then this command to format to HFS+ (not journaled). Replace the X at the end with your actual disk number you found from diskutil list. Change "Test" there to whatever you want to name the disk.

Code:
diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ Test /dev/diskX

Reactions: Crimson Hikari

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Disk Utility is a bit challenged sometimes. You need to unmount (not eject) the disk first to enable the option in the menu.

You can disable journaling with this Terminal command:
Code:
diskutil disablejournal diskX && diskutil unmount diskX && diskutil mount diskX

Crimson Hikari

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
You should be able to do this in Terminal.

Run this command to see the physical disk number.

Code:
diskutil list

Then this command to format to HFS+ (not journaled). Replace the X at the end with your actual disk number you found from diskutil list. Change "Test" there to whatever you want to name the disk.

Code:
diskutil eraseDisk HFS+ Test /dev/diskX

Thank you very much for this! My router is still being picky with what partitions it wants to see, but it got the right format for the drive.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.