Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
How "dangerous" is disabling SIP if I want to install Sierra on a 2009 Mac Mini? The official limit of the 2009 Mac Mini is El Capitan but I really need Sierra and am not sure I can afford a new or even second-hand later model Mini. If I have anti-virus software like Sophos installed will that take care of any problems disabling SIP might cause? This is an area I know nothing about. I have a decent upgraded 2009 Mac Mini with an SSD and 8GB of RAM and plenty of life left in it. If I can install Sierra without major risk then that would seem to be the best way to go.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I run two systems with SIP disabled, a MacPro1,1 and my main goto machine a MacPro3,1.
For the past 2-3 years that I've been using these units I've noticed nothing "dangerous" whatsoever.
Then again my use of these systems might be considered pretty lightweight.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Thanks. What do you mean by lightweight? I'm on the internet much of the day.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I routinely disable SIP on all of my Macs, and don't lose any sleep over having done so.
No problems so far.

thewap

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2012
I disabled sip on all comps, 2 x mbp, mba, for the last two years. No problems at all.

mikethebook

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Thanks guys. Now I just have to bite the bullet and see if I can install Sirrea without incident.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Thanks. What do you mean by lightweight? I'm on the internet much of the day.
Meaning I don't rely on my computer to make my living, just your regular old retired guy playing with old MacPro's to pass time time, and trying to keep what few brain cells I have left from leaving.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.