Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Dodds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Hi. Anyone else getting this problem?...
I am subscribed to various YouTube channels. When alerts come through by email I have my Mac Mail rules sort them into folders. I might see the new ones and decide to watch them later. Next day, I look in those folders and that day's email alerts are gone! I search the whole of Mac Mail and no hits. I check to see if I was dreaming it by going to my YouTube subscriptions page to see if those videos really had been published (they had).
This happens only occasionally, like maybe once in two months. I don't know if it's happening with other emails, whether it's just the YouTube ones, or whether it's just the rules-sorted ones.
I wonder if it's connected to the buggy behaviour in Mac Mail when I move a message - often the message disappears from the folder (as you would expect), reappears momentarily, then disappears again. Even this process, very occasionally, goes wrong and I lose the message.
I am using El Capitan now, having jumped from Mountain Lion (hmm, or was it Lion??), and these problems started after the upgrade.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Steve Dodds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Oh yes... I use gmail (IMAP). I'm using Mac Mail 9.3 on El Capitan on a Macbook Pro (2011).

Steve Dodds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2015
Sorry, I made a mistake. The YouTube emails come through my iCloud account, not my Gmail account.
I have no filters set up in iCloud - the rules I have are in Mac Mail. An example would be:
IF Subject CONTAINS "minutephysics" THEN MOVE MESSAGE TO MAILBOX "Cool videos".
The mailbox "Cool videos" (or whatever) is a folder in my Gmail, where I sort all my messages.

Which reminds me, just ordering (dragging around) those Gmail folders in this new Mac Mail doesn't work properly either. The folders rarely actually move to where I drag them. It's seems very buggy indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.