Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AaronChicago

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
I was hoping for a noticeable difference in the wide zoomed vs telephoto. When you jump from 1.9x to 2.0x they're nearly identical. Telephoto lenses are supposed to have a more compressed background with seperation from a subject. I think the faux bokeh blur update will help but it's not impressive so far.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
With telephoto most are expecting zoom and that's it. Not dslr qualities. Not saying you're wrong. Ask somebody else and they will love it though.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I agree in that I was disappointed in it only being 2x

4x minimum, 6x better, but just 2x ?

Not exactly much of a difference, esp as normal is pretty much wideangle anyway.

I'd rather they had more difference between the two lenses.

Reactions: AaronChicago

AaronChicago

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
With telephoto most are expecting zoom and that's it. Not dslr qualities. Not saying you're wrong. Ask somebody else and they will love it though.

So I'm wondering if it isn't really a telephoto lens but another wide lens that is cropped at full resolution. I'm not expecting DLSR quality but at least the characteristics of a 56mm lens (which it's not).
[doublepost=1474112195][/doublepost]I found this article that explains it. The claim of 28mm and 56mm are a bit misleading. Those aren't the actual lenses but the "field of view" which is completely different. The iPhones have a 1/3" sensor chip which is SUPER small compared to DLSR or mirrorless cameras. The wide angle lens is actually a 4mm lens, and the telephoto lens is 7mm lens. So the characteristics of the lenses are still "super wide", they're just cropped in to a tighter field of view. The field of view is equivalent to a 28mm and 58mm on a DSLR.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/12/iphone-7-plus-sensor-size/

Last edited:

ArkieBiker

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
Arkansas
Yep...it's VERY nice!!! When you jump from 1.9x to 2.0x and you say they are nearly identical...maybe that's because THEY ARE NEARLY identical. C'mon man, go buy a DSLR and carry that around all day (I have before), and as a photographer...I can tell you that this DUAL CAMERA phone rocks it!! In a few years when they have the QUAD camera phone with 4 different camera lenses and 4 different zoom levels...or maybe when in 10 years the entire back of the camera is covered in prime focal lengths...YOU'LL appreciate this years model. :)

But hey...that's just me.

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I'm not sure why you are disappointed it's "only" 2x.

That exactly what they advertised and explained. Without have a huge camera hanging off the back, who else makes a phone with a legit optical zoom?

AaronChicago

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Yep...it's VERY nice!!! When you jump from 1.9x to 2.0x and you say they are nearly identical...maybe that's because THEY ARE NEARLY identical. C'mon man, go buy a DSLR and carry that around all day (I have before), and as a photographer...I can tell you that this DUAL CAMERA phone rocks it!! In a few years when they have the QUAD camera phone with 4 different camera lenses and 4 different zoom levels...or maybe when in 10 years the entire back of the camera is covered in prime focal lengths...YOU'LL appreciate this years model. :)

But hey...that's just me.

Well I see what your saying about carrying around a DSLR. I carry around my Fuji XT1 alot b/c it's pretty small. But having a 4mm and 7mm lens is pretty useless in terms of difference.
[doublepost=1474112632][/doublepost]
I'm not sure why you are disappointed it's "only" 2x.

That exactly what they advertised and explained. Without have a huge camera hanging off the back, who else makes a phone with a legit optical zoom?

You guys are confusing field of view and focal length. A true 2x focal length on an actual camera is drastic. The image looks totally different in characteristics. The iPhone 7 Plus is just a field of view optical zoom which is okay I guess but it shouldn't be considered a telephoto lens.

ArkieBiker

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
Arkansas
No, its not a zoom at all. The ONLY zoom the phone has is digital. But a 2x OPTICAL focal length is ONLY OK in your book? I don't understand that at all. Basically, what the DUAL camera system does...it's the equivalent of carrying 2 lenses in your camera bag, but NOT having to take one lens off to replace it with another. Pretty dang cool I'd say...and at the SAME optical quality as the wide angle.

Reactions: joonyaboy

AaronChicago

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
No, its not a zoom at all. The ONLY zoom the phone has is digital. But a 2x OPTICAL focal length is ONLY OK in your book? I don't understand that at all. Basically, what the DUAL camera system does...it's the equivalent of carrying 2 lenses in your camera bag, but NOT having to take one lens off to replace it with another. Pretty dang cool I'd say...and at the SAME optical quality as the wide angle.

What I'm saying is a 4mm to 7mm lens isn't exciting in my opinion, which are the lenses that are in the 7+. With the tiny sensor we're getting around a 7x crop. When an image is cropped that much 3mm in lens difference is negligible. The only advantage is having your resolution stay solid in that 2x zoom.

2macORnot2mac

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010

I agree. Pre ordered the Plus just because of the camera. Went in played and tested the plus camera. Wasn't impressed enough to jump to a big plus size phone. Walked out with the standard 7.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
What I found quite strange is that they introduce a phone with the invitation of bookeh and that it's not ready. The keynote simply brushed it off as 'a fun little challenge for the staff to figure out', .. I think they just didn't get it done in time, and we got what we got. If that's the case, that the one reason the plus has a dual camera and they didn't include it in the beta, or in the final release, .... then I am not really surprised you're disappointed. You just got the basic optical zoom from the hardware working in the camera app, and not the full potential they probably made it for.
Just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.