Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
Hi there,

I purchased two homepods to play in separate rooms.

They constantly lose their connections to Apple Music requiring me to log out and back in at least once a day if not more.

Sometimes that doesn't work and I have to remove the homepods from the home app (on my iPhone) and add them again.

I've tried unplugging the homepods, resetting them and reinstalling the home app on my iPhone as well.

Additionally, when the homepods are "sort of working", Siri will say something to the effect of:

I can't do that at the moment

When I ask it to play songs or even simple tasks like adjust the volume etc.

Sometimes when Siri says that, the voice slows down at the end of the sentence like a glitch - it sounds a little spooky. Lol.

My wifi and internet connection is solid.

Did I get lemons and should just exchange them or are these known issues?

Last edited:

ALW1026

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2016
Horrible connection with multiple devices. Ive been fighting with them since I got em. Im at a point where I just cross my fingers when I try to use them together or with other apple devices

frez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
I found a reddit post complaining about the loss of connection to Apple Music being related to 2-factor authentication needed to be set up on the iTunes account.

So I've tried that and will see if it helps. Though I had the exact same issue 20 minutes later which didn't give me hope.

I have to wonder about the decision of having Siri always needing to access the Internet to do the most simplest of tasks - I would think they'd want to cache some of these capabilities locally on the hardware and only access the internet when needed.

Case in point: adjusting the volume should be a no brainer.

JohnR

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I jinxed myself. Now they are acting up on me...plays the first 10 seconds or so of music then goes silent. When next song comes up to play, it plays 10 seconds then goes silent.
[doublepost=1555627385][/doublepost]Ok, I removed them from my Home app and set them up as new. Working again. I think it had to do with changing ISP and wifi

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
There is definitely a bug with Apple Music on the Home Pod. Apple Music via AirPlay 2 to the HomePod from any device is 100% reliable.

This started happening about a month ago when I turned on 2FA for my AppleID (which is associated with iTunes/Apple Music). Once a day when requesting something from the HomePod Siri responds with a variation of: "I’m having trouble with Music. Please check your settings on you Home app" Simply launching the Home app on my iPad and waiting a few seconds (or tapping on the HomePod* in favorite accessories) and then asking Siri again to play my request fixed it for the next day or so.

*I have a stereo pair of HomePods

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Hands down worst Apple experience ever. And I own or have owned everything. Given you can’t get under the hood to repair there’s not much you can do when all the things you guys mentioned in this thread happens other than to reset. I couldn’t be bothered anymore, it’s just crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.