Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JacobF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
Long time lurker here. I just want to voice my opinion on iOS 10 and maybe give some guidance to those who are thinking about updating but haven't yet.

After quite some time of trying to decide whether or not to install iOS 10 on my iPhone 6S, I did it tonight and I think I've made a huge mistake. I can't get past the way that widgets are not in the pull down notification center and there is no slide to unlock. It probably sounds stupid but I hate it. It just doesn't feel right to me and if I could pay Apple to give me iOS 9 back I probably would. This is yet another reason I think Apple should allow users to install any compatible version of iOS to their devices but that's another subject.

So basically if you are on the fence about installing iOS 10, I would advise against it.

Reactions: Offshore1

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Do yourself a favour and download the iPhone iOS10 user guide from Apple via iBooks. Yes there are changes but it's not rocket science and most are an improvement once you get used to them.
We have iOS10 installed on an iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 here without any problems.
Can't run away from changes they will just follow you.. :)

Enygmatic

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2015
Various
Long time lurker here. I just want to voice my opinion on iOS 10 and maybe give some guidance to those who are thinking about updating but haven't yet.

After quite some time of trying to decide whether or not to install iOS 10 on my iPhone 6S, I did it tonight and I think I've made a huge mistake. I can't get past the way that widgets are not in the pull down notification center and there is no slide to unlock. It probably sounds stupid but I hate it. It just doesn't feel right to me and if I could pay Apple to give me iOS 9 back I probably would. This is yet another reason I think Apple should allow users to install any compatible version of iOS to their devices but that's another subject.

So basically if you are on the fence about installing iOS 10, I would advise against it.
...OR read up on it, look at the iOS page on Apple's site, view the WWDC Keynote, or peruse any of the hundreds of articles online covering iOS 10 thoroughly. Then you can make an informed decision, and not be "blindsided" by some of these changes.

Reactions: chabig

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014

You're on the wrong forum for this kind of opinion lol everyone will attack you and say you're wrong. I happen to agree though, the changes are stupid and that's why I'm on 9.3.5 and I'll probably stay there. Plus my 6S Plus battery was terrible on 10.

Although you can change the slide to unlock thing kinda, by changing the home button setting.

JacobF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
I guess that's why I shared my experience. I did all of those things to try and "prepare" myself and it didn't really hit home until I was faced with it. I had even taken test drives on the devices of friends and family members. I just didn't realize the shock I was about to experience when the way I had done something on my iPhone for years was going to change so drastically.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015

and wait for the bad battery life times on the 6s tomorrow...you should have stick to ios9

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I guess that's why I shared my experience. I did all of those things to try and "prepare" myself and it didn't really hit home until I was faced with it. I had even taken test drives on the devices of friends and family members. I just didn't realize the shock I was about to experience when the way I had done something on my iPhone for years was going to change so drastically.

You could probably get away with swapping it at an Apple store if you find someone sympathetic enough and they have replacements with 9 on them. I don't see why they wouldn't have some with 9 sitting there

JacobF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
I don't know, all of you have valid points. I guess I have always dreaded the day that Apple made changes significant enough that they would alienate me. That day has come and I wasn't ready for it. I appreciate the feedback.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I dont know why everyone miss slide to unlock so much unless your phone have no password and you don't want to have any protection on your device.

If you are on iPhone 5 maybe I can understand, but since I have touch ID, I never used this again.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
ios 10 is great. and since ur a "long time lurker" u should know the same time frame every year when the next ios comes out, many whine & threaten to sue apple cause the next ios "sucks" & cause of this "planned obsolescence" crap thats floating around (its basically on par with the flat earth theory), well this year has been about half as bad as usual, the best yet, or at least since i been with apple (since ipod touch 3g on 3.1.3). so if even at least half the whiners are silent & liking it, somethings REALLY good about ios 10...

JacobF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2016
Oh yeah, I haven't seen near the whining about iOS 10 that I have seen about previous versions. That really surprises me too. I'm not an Apple basher or a "planned obsolescence" guy either. I'm going to try and get used to it and maybe six months from now I will have a completely different opinion. I just feel like I may be falling out of love with Apple and I didn't want this day to come.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Running 10.0.1 on 6s and battery is better than 9.3.5.

The unlock took a bit to get use too, but now I like it. Turn on the unlock with finger and the phone opens fast, especially with raise to wake on.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

To be fair, threads and posts like this have been around since months ago when iOS 10 was first introduced, so most if not all of this shouldn't be a surprise really.

And the widgets are still there where they used to be, and now they are there to the left of the home/lock screen in addition as well.

ISRMafia

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2016
Israel

1.You can easily just put your finger to unlock with 'Rest Finger to Open' - Which i like more than iOS 9.If you dont have TouchID then quickly tap on the home button and remove the finger off the button and it will pop up the code for you (Most people keep their finger on the button and its driving them crazy why its not popping the code)
2.Widgets ARE in the pull down notification center , just swipe to the right / Left (depends on the iPhone language).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The unlock took a bit to get use too, but now I like it. Turn on the unlock with finger and the phone opens fast, especially with raise to wake on.

Agreed. I really appreciate the raise to wake
Feature. Versus having to push the home or power button every time. Less stress on the hardware and more efficient.

bigjnyc

macrumors G3
Apr 10, 2008
I can see widgets in the NC I just have to swipe right, perhaps this is a feature that has to be turned on? I'm not sure. Also I prefer to have the widgets on the left screen, you just have to swipe right now to get to them instead of swiping down. Having them in the NC like ios 9 made it very cluttered in my opinion. As for the slide to unlock I won't lie that bothered me a little bit at first but it's all about getting used to it, muscle memory had us sliding to unlock our phones for years, it just takes a little time to get used to the new method but then it will become second nature just like sliding did trust me.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I was with you OP and held out updating my iPhone 6 until last week. The design looked ugly to me, my beloved Music app seemed like it was shattered yet again. And what's wrong with Swipe To Unlock??

But honestly, I love iOS 10 now. My phone runs as smooth as it did on 8.4.1, an important performance quality that iOS 9 never got right with the endless stutters and lag. The Music app is actually really intuitive and enjoyable to use, the new interface is easy to navigate and use. The widgets are a neat little feature that I don't use often, but definitely come in handy when I want to see the weather or get to my Maps app while driving without distracting myself from, well, driving.

It's the most enjoyable iOS since 6 to me. And I'm a staunch "old school" guy that pined for the days of 6 ever since Scott Forstall was canned in favor of Jony Ive's new flat and seemingly stripped down approach. Give it a chance. It's a worthy upgrade.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015

Yes sir, I did the same mistake as you, now I regret.

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2012
Do yourself a favour and download the iPhone iOS10 user guide from Apple via iBooks. Yes there are changes but it's not rocket science and most are an improvement once you get used to them.
We have iOS10 installed on an iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 here without any problems.
Can't run away from changes they will just follow you.. :)

Well actually don't mean to be rude... BUT! You could just buy a different device and problem solved or older iPhone all together so you are 100 percent wrong.

Reactions: ThunderMasterMind

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015

I completely disagree i prefer 9.3.5

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016

*facedesk* Notification center widgets never went away. Slide to unlock? You'll get over it. I've been using it since Beta 1 in July on my 6S, and I got used to it almost immediately. Chill it's not the end of the world.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I remember when we used to pay for any version upgrade to any os.

I am so happy we can now have over the air updates at no cost, on broadband internet, and wireless.

Downgrading is also a lot easier than back in the day. So when you're unhappy you can just restore from backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.