Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InquiringMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Mac mini (late 2012)
10.12.5 upgraded to 10.12.6 (via App Store)
Finder does not show any connected external disks (USB drives); only internal HDD
Disk Utility displays "Loading Disks" message and NO info on disks (internal or external) is shown
Before the upgrade I had no such problems

What an I doing wrong?

I am not a software Guru and do need your help badly indeed!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Mac mini (late 2012)
10.12.5 upgraded to 10.12.6 (via App Store)
Finder does not show any connected external disks (USB drives); only internal HDD
Disk Utility displays "Loading Disks" message and NO info on disks (internal or external) is shown
Before the upgrade I had no such problems

What an I doing wrong?

I am not a software Guru and do need your help badly indeed!

Try installing the 10.12.6 combo update: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1931?locale=en_US. It might correct some system files if they are corrupted. See if that helps.

Reactions: InquiringMac

InquiringMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Thank you, thank you very kindly for your most appreciated help: worked like a charm!

Any ideas what went wrong the first time, please? I was monitoring the installation, and nothing appeared out of the ordinary...

I have just noticed something very strange I have never seen before: Shared drive ("intel_ce_linux") I cannot access to remove (disconnect?) from my Finder (please see the attached Screen Shot). This appeared after my new Internet Service Provider technician "installed" and checked my new Internet modem. How can I get rid of it completely (i.e. not just hide), please?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.46.49.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 10.46.49.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 322

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Thank you, thank you very kindly for your most appreciated help: worked like a charm!

Any ideas what went wrong the first time, please? I was monitoring the installation, and nothing appeared out of the ordinary...

I have just noticed something very strange I have never seen before: Shared drive ("intel_ce_linux") I cannot access to remove (disconnect?) from my Finder (please see the attached Screen Shot). This appeared after my new Internet Service Provider technician "installed" and checked my new Internet modem. How can I get rid of it completely (i.e. not just hide), please?

Is your new internet modem USB connected?

It could be the firmware drive for that device that your mac has discovered as a disk device.

If this is the case, i would ignore it; i don't know if you'll be able to "get rid of it" without impacting the functionality of your modem...

edit:
ah, it's on the network (not USB). it may be an open share on your router? "ce_device" typically means "customer equipment" in ISP terminology. Seems odd that it would be open to you like that...

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

Call the ISP about it.

InquiringMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
@throAU - Modem (Hitron CGNM-2250 Advanced WiFi Modem) is not using any USB connections: just coax (from the wall) and Ethernet (to my Mac).

@Taz Mangus - I have contacted my ISP: they told me it is not their problem, and suggested me to contact Apple. I am on my own here…

I think the guy mentioned something like Bonjour (pardon my French…) while checking the modem, but I am not sure…

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
@throAU - Modem (Hitron CGNM-2250 Advanced WiFi Modem) is not using any USB connections: just coax (from the wall) and Ethernet (to my Mac).

@Taz Mangus - I have contacted my ISP: they told me it is not their problem, and suggested me to contact Apple. I am on my own here…

I think the guy mentioned something like Bonjour (pardon my French…) while checking the modem, but I am not sure…

And if you reboot it still shows up?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I expect that it is a setting on your new modem - maybe the guest network that is available causes a "share" to appear.

The modem also supports NAS storage, which would (if used) show up like that in Shared.

There are two USB ports on the back of your modem. They can be used, depending on the configuration of the settings in your modem.

bottom line, I am about 90% certain that the "Shared" item is because of a "feature" of your new modem.
You have my permission to ignore it...

(added) - I did find THIS from Shaw ISP support about that share. It's a normal network presence as a result of how your modem is made.

Last edited:

InquiringMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Thank you @DeltaMac! Thank you very kindly each and everyone of you guys for your so much needed and most appreciated help!

Now I can finally sleep knowing my Mac was not hacked or otherwise compromised by this new "shared" drive...

Reactions: DeltaMac and throAU
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.