Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mirriamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2021
Netherlands
I tried installing an old os, that appeared to be to old for the SSD I am using. It now only starts to a prohibit symbol. When I try to fix the problem I can not see my disk in the disk utility. I only have disk0 and OS X basesystem. please help me out, this is driving me crazy… thanks in advance!

(2TB X2 SSD MacBook Pro Retina A1398 en A1502 mid 2013 - 2015) and wanted to revert from bigsur to my timemachine backup with 10.11.6

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You're going to have to completely erase the internal drive, and then start over.

Try this.
Can you boot to INTERNET recovery?
Command-OPTION-R
at boot ??

You'll need your wifi password.
Be patient, the utilities take a while to load.
Can you get booted this way?
Try it and tell us if it works.

alfogator

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
Florence, Italy
  1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Hold down Command-Option/Alt-R and press the Power button. (On some Mac keyboards the Option key will be named Alt).
  3. Hold down those keys until you a spinning globe and the message "Starting Internet Recovery. This may take a while".
  4. The message will be replaced with a progress bar. Wait for it to fill. Expect it to take a while...
  5. Wait for the MacOS Utilities screen to appear.
  6. Click Reinstall macOS and follow the installation process.

Reactions: Mirriamm

Mirriamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2021
Netherlands
Thanks so much for your answer! The internet recovery gave an error, could not connect. I fixed part of the problem; i swapped for the old drive and installed Big Sur on there, it seemed to have fixed some firmware because I can see the disk again. The only problem is I have a timemachine backup with 10.14 that i need to put on it but when i restore with timemachine in internet recovery it Kees on “preparing”

alfogator

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2005
Florence, Italy
One thing you might try is to make a fresh install of 10.14 (or Big Sur if it's fine for your purposes) and then use migration assistant to import your user data and applications into your new install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.