Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
I'm in doubt if I have my MacBook display correctly calibrated.

I have two options in my Display Color profile, one is the Color LCD (the one that comes with Leopard), which I find to have a blue tint that I don't like, it looks cold.

So I installed the Color Profile found in Tiger, which you can download from apppe.com. It's called Color LCD 10.4.7. And I find this much more pleasant and warmer, but sometimes I think it is too warm.

I tried Supercal but the result was catastrophic:D

What's the best way to find out the best calibration for my display?

Thanks,

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Thirded: I have a Spyder 2 Express and paid ~$60 for it: great investment and a noticeable improvement. Forget about the Calibration Assistant, this is how it's meant to be done :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
One great investment for all post production work is going to be a colorimeter. This will undoubtedly save you time and money in the digital darkroom. To me having a properly calibrated monitor is the digital equivalent of running test strips in the darkroom. Overall, you'll waste much less paper if your monitor and printer are properly calibrated. Spyder2 Pro offers both display and printer calibration software. So far I've found it very easy to use and worth the price tag. Even if you do not print at home often there is nothing worse than sending your images to a lab and have them come back with colors that were not as they were displayed on screen. That is equally annoying and a total waste of cash.

Truthfully, I tried to use the standard OS calibration tools and could never get them right nor was I ever able to understand them enough. Spyder2 is Jessica-proof, which is exactly how I need it.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I also just got a spyder 2 and it is really worth it, it's like night and day, everything is a lot warmer.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I use the spider 2. Then I compared the custom profile It made with what Apple supplied and fond that in my case they were close. I have a 2.16Ghz white 24" iMac with the anti-glare screen. I have a second Mac, a G4 mini and it's default profile was not so close to the custom one. So if the Apple supplied profile is "correct" or not depends on your computer and maybe the lighting in your room and how old the monitor is.

hakuryuu

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2007
Lomita, CA
I use the Spyder3 Pro and while more expensive than the express, the colorimeter is the newer model and is supposed to be much more accurate. Either way, the Spyder is a good choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.