Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dorothy Gale

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Hi,

Willing to keep my MacBook Pro as healthy as possible, I am pondering to keep my MacBook Pro plugged overnight on a daily basis (sure that sounded a bit contradictory) to avoid any stress that repetitive start up / shut down cycles might yield to it.

My first question is: once I put the laptop to sleep, does the LCD panel actually turn itself off in a way like shutting it down would do?

I intend to disconnect the MagSafe from the MacBook Pro so I can unplug the power adapter from the socket (I can’t but wonder if there is some hidden oppositeness here to my initial purpose to avoid stressing the MacBook Pro components.) Thence my second question would be: is it safe procedure for the health of the battery?

One last question, and I think am abusing your time; forgive me for that. Given all previous conjectures are deemed safe to perform, how could I log sleep/wake-up cycles so I might catch anything that might keep the MacBook Pro awake overnight, OS X Console maybe?

Any extra tips are much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

P.S. MacBook Pro model is 17-inch, Late 2011

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi,

Willing to keep my MacBook Pro as healthy as possible, I am pondering to keep my MacBook Pro plugged overnight on a daily basis (sure that sounded a bit contradictory) to avoid any stress that repetitive start up / shut down cycles might yield to it.

My first question is: once I put the laptop to sleep, does the LCD panel actually turn itself off in a way like shutting it down would do?

I intend to disconnect the MagSafe from the MacBook Pro so I can unplug the power adapter from the socket (I can’t but wonder if there is some hidden oppositeness here to my initial purpose to avoid stressing the MacBook Pro components.) Thence my second question would be: is it safe procedure for the health of the battery?

One last question, and I think am abusing your time; forgive me for that. Given all previous conjectures are deemed safe to perform, how could I log sleep/wake-up cycles so I might catch anything that might keep the MacBook Pro awake overnight, OS X Console maybe?

Any extra tips are much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time and attention.

P.S. MacBook Pro model is 17-inch, Late 2011
I think you're being a bit over-the-top protective here.

Your MBP is likely to croak due to a known issue with the graphics card long before any of what you are worrying about has even a monicker of an effect on the longevity of your machine.

Keep it plugged in, it's fine. The battery has a chip in it that does all the worrying about its health for you, better than you ever could.

Sleep does indeed shut down the LCD completely. Why you'd think that has any effect on its longevity is something I don't understand.

The Console does keep a log of everything, so yes you'd see the sleep wake cycles in there if you feel like scrolling through thousands of lines of text.

Dorothy Gale

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Thank you for such a prompt and comprehensive reply.

Your MBP is likely to croak due to a known issue with the graphics card long before any of what you are worrying about has even a monicker of an effect on the longevity of your machine.

It already has. Got a new logic board. The GPU kept acting weird, alas on a second trip to the Apple Service, they found nothing. :oops:

Sleep does indeed shut down the LCD completely. Why you'd think that has any effect on its longevity is something I don't understand.

Uneducated guesswork on my side but the display panel will wear down gradually.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Thank you for such a prompt and comprehensive reply.

It already has. Got a new logic board. The GPU kept acting weird, alas on a second trip to the Apple Service, they found nothing. :oops:

Uneducated guesswork on my side but the display panel will wear down gradually.
Unless you put a lot of strain (and I mean physical strain such as excessive pressure) on the screen, the LED backlight will probably fail long before the LCD does. It really is a non issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.