Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wailjdii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Hello, few days ago I bought a used Mid 2015 MBP 15 inch. Unfortunately I didn't notice the screen has a mark in the middle. (as I mostly tested it on external screen, because that's how I mostly gonna use it) Best seen when the background is white. Can someone tell what is this? and what may cause it? Or maybe it's possible to get rid of this mark? At least cleaning with wet cloth didn't help

Thanx in advance.

Attachments

• mark.jpg
    mark.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 185

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Are you talking about the slightly darker stripe across the screen? Looks light a backlight diffuser issue, or something akin to that, which isn't something you can fix. May be time to take the machine back.

wailjdii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2016
Are you talking about the slightly darker stripe across the screen? Looks light a backlight diffuser issue, or something akin to that, which isn't something you can fix. May be time to take the machine back.

Thnx for the answer!!

Yes the slightly darker stripe.

What may cause the screen mark? Will it progress and should I be concerned? I know that the laptop has a changed keyboard, because of liquid. Can this be the reason?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Without seeing it better it's hard to tell what it actually is. Could be something on the surface of the screen too, but it's hard to see how a liquid spill would cause that pattern. Can you see any mark when the screen is black? If not, it's probably internal. Does it shift at all if you tilt the screen to one side or the other? You could take it to an Apple Store to see what they think it is. I doubt it will get any worse, in any case.

Was the liquid spill and keyboard replacement fixed by Apple? If not, it might be a good idea to check to see if it needs cleaning inside. To do it yourself I believe you'd need a special pentalobe screwdriver, which you can get online. No doubt there are videos online.

Reactions: Calby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.