Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoosier62

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
I posted this over in the thread about today's MacBook Pro update, but that thread has degenerated into the usual scrum and no one replied. Perhaps someone here can help:

The primary use for my 15" MB Pro will be Aperture. (I know, I should use a big display, etc.--but the value (and marital harmony) of sitting on the couch with the family while working is what I'm going for here). So should I get the regular screen, the hi-res screen (+$100) or the hi-res anti-glare screen (+$150)?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Definitely get the High-Res screen, but if you want glossy or matte, is really your choice.

I prefer matte, but the display is a bit harder to clean since there is no glass.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I posted this over in the thread about today's MacBook Pro update, but that thread has degenerated into the usual scrum and no one replied. Perhaps someone here can help:

The primary use for my 15" MB Pro will be Aperture. (I know, I should use a big display, etc.--but the value (and marital harmony) of sitting on the couch with the family while working is what I'm going for here). So should I get the regular screen, the hi-res screen (+$100) or the hi-res anti-glare screen (+$150)?

Higher res give more screen space. Now for photo editing you really shouldn't use a laptop display. However, I do lol, though don't sell prints. So for the $150 dollars you would spend I say maybe look for a second hand external monitor it will be better for colour accuracy and then you do get more screen space too. I know apple have updated the screens for better colour etc but its still a laptop display.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Higher res give more screen space. Now for photo editing you really shouldn't use a laptop display. However, I do lol, though don't sell prints. So for the $150 dollars you would spend I say maybe look for a second hand external monitor

A laptop display won't differ that much from a 150USD external display, except you know a matte and IPS one for that price?

While the display in the MBP is still using TN panels, it has good colour accuracy and for couch photo editing shall be more than enough.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
A laptop display won't differ that much from a 150USD external display, until you know a matte and IPS one for that price?

While the display in the MBP is still using TN panels, it has good colour accuracy and for couch photo editing shall be more than enough.

Agreed but I was on about a second hand one cause I know $150 isn't enough. I would have mentioned TN panels and IPS ones etc and matte and gloss but it can confuse people. Also are the laptops atually 24bit now or are they still dithered, cause if they still aren't true 24bit then the colours produced on display when editing might be quite different when viewed on print or other displays.

But OP basically IPS will give better viewing angle etc. If you calibrate your screen though all should be good.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Higher res give more screen space. Now for photo editing you really shouldn't use a laptop display. However, I do lol, though don't sell prints. So for the $150 dollars you would spend I say maybe look for a second hand external monitor it will be better for colour accuracy and then you do get more screen space too. I know apple have updated the screens for better colour etc but its still a laptop display.

Lots of editing tasks need to be done that don't involve colour correction. OP could do all their keywording on the couch. "Honey .. what are another 6 words to describe a green chair?"

I agree about colour correction though..... but I find organizing images to be as time consuming as actually doing something to the photo.... :)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007

Hmm, I thought since the coming of LED backlit Displays on Apple notebooks, the panels has all been IPS? or did Apple change it back with this update? :mad:

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
The LED Cinema Display and the LED iMacs use IPS, but the notebook line still uses TN panels.
Woot! I didn't know that, but how come my Early 2008 15" MBP with LED backlit is able to view my display 180 degrees, I thought only IPS is able to do that?

and I cant believe that Apple still haven't update the panels on their notebook line with IPS panels when the iPad which is wayy cheaper get those panels :mad:

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Woot! I didn't know that, but how come my Early 2008 15" MBP with LED backlit is able to view my display 180 degrees, I thought only IPS is able to do that?

and I cant believe that Apple still haven't update the panels on their notebook line with IPS panels when the iPad which is wayy cheaper get those panels :mad:

Do te colours change. I can view at 180 cause my glossy mbp screen but colours change

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the high-res screen might be nice if fonts don't get too small. matte is better than glossy for color accuracy, but if you don't print regularly, it doesn't matter.

when you view the screen at an angle, does the screen turn yellow? if so, it's TN. if the black turn purple, it's IPS.

to my knowledge, only one or two Thinkpads use IPS panels. everyone else uses TN.

the iPad has a dinky 9"(?) 1024x768 screen. a Macbook Pro has a 15.4-17" screen at 1440x900 to 1900x1200. cost is a big factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.