Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oodaloop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2023
The display on this M1 Macbook Air boots to a backlit screen with no image. When I push around the top of the laptop near the hinges the image appears. I've opened the laptop and checked the display cable and the main data cable and there are no issues.

Here is a video of the problem happening.

Here is the cables I verified to be have no visible issues.
PXL_20230508_205435300~2.jpg

Any thoughts on what to check on next? I've taken apart the mainboard and removed the wifi antenna just to inspect for any issues. I didn't want to tear it apart any further until I had an idea of what to look for next. From the repair videos I've viewed, I didn't believe anything is in the areas I'm pressing down on that should affect the display but I'm obviously not sure of that.

Thanks for any help.

P.S. That is a sticky note in the middle of the screen.

real_mon2

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2023
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Is this unit not under warranty? Looks to be a hardware fault and linked to the video cables or backlight logic. Perhaps shorting with your finger pressure. Have you contacted Apple for feedback?

Graham Caracas

Suspended
Jun 24, 2020
Six Toe, MO
"I didn't want to tear it apart any further until I had an idea of what to look for next."

If any of this is true, then what you should look for next is the money for a new device. Any warranty or insurance is now void and it's unlikely they will accept it for trade-in or refurb. 'Tearing it apart' was a big mistake.

Reactions: jagolden
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.