Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
I have a non EFI flashed 1080TI(11G-P4-6798-KR) using the SATA ports for power (2x 6in SATA Power to 1x 8 Pin PCI Express Video Card Power Cable Adapter) alongside the default gpu power cable i believe to prevent the unexpected shutdown crash (still happens on high load). I was having an issue where certain ports weren't working and would start working again. I have 3 miniDP ports and 1 HDMI port, usually i would switch between the HDMI and miniDP ports because one would fail and the other would work. Now i got an Index HMD headset and it was working for awhile but now the miniDP ports are all out and not turning back on. So how can i get them working again? Why is this even happening? It seems like its getting some sort of signal out of them because when i connect a monitor on mac to the miniDP port it acts like its trying to add it as a display but fails.

Would this perhaps be fixed if i sent in the video card to get EFI flashed? Also curious if i flash it would my bootcamp gpu performance increase? Also would it affect the compatability or performance if i decided to flash it and use it in a custom pc build later?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
No idea what's wrong, but one of the theory is that any non reference card may have compatibility issue with the web driver.

ImBenCole

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2019
Maybe not enough power to card if its shutting off randomly, have you got another power supply hooked up to it for the 2 8 pins?

Reactions: orph and MIKX

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
NVIDIA issued a firmware update for many of its cards in June 2018 which fixed issues with DisplayPort 1.3/1.4 monitor connections. If your monitor is DP 1.1/1.2 it may not help. Your card may need that update but you need to have Windows to do it.

Last edited:

Zaithe

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2016
Thanks everyone i have an update, i ordered a bunch of Electronics cleaner and deoxit and took apart the whole computer and cleaned everything and sprayed some deoxit to protect it in the future. It seems to be working again, might have been one of the sata power adapters with a bad connection but i also updated the gpu firmware as suggested for good measure. I'll be keeping a close eye on it to make sure it stays stable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.