Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nat Sehati

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2016
So, I have a question and I'm sure all of you staff and members can help me answer. This issue has been bothering me for quite some time. So I recently purchased two different 2-in-1 3rd party lightning to micro usb cables. This way I only carry one cable with me whereever I go. They both seem of high quality and don't look cheap at all; however, I think the battery of my iPhone 6 doesn't last as long when charging with the 3rd party. So my question is, is the actually battery life of an iPhone 6 (or any iPhone) changed by the 3rd party cable? It seems like the battery lasts longer when I charge it with the regular Apple cable and not with the 3rd party but that wouldn't really make sense, right? I have tried to test it but it is really hard and I haven't gotten sufficient results to make any assumptions. Is this true, or am I just going crazy? Thanks for the help.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

electronicsguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2015
Pune, India
don't go by "looks". you can have a crappy non-standard cable covered in gold. non-standard cables may work great, in store, for a few days. Point is, charging cables need fundamentals correct - proper current carrying capacity, shielding. But only the apple MiFi certified ones. (amazon basics and tech armor both sell excellent certified cables.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn't the device ultimately control how it charges? Wouldn't that mean that whether or not a cable might at times deliver more or less or be inconsistent in some way, the device would still regulate not to take more than it needs and at times when it would take in less that shouldn't be an issue as charging at a lower rate shouldn't be harmful (just takes longer)?

Reactions: lordofthereef
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.