Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbuyer123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2020
I want to buy a 16-inch MBP from the certified refurb store, but I'm tempted to wait until Sept/Oct to see if a new model is being released, in the hopes that I'd either buy that one, or more likely, get the old one cheaper. Is the old (2019) model likely to be sold cheaper from Apple?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I don't think they drop. In fact, I was looking at 2014 Mini's shortly after the 2018 models were introduced. They were listing a refurb 2014 2.8ghz/8gb Mini for around $900 at that time. I bought the same new computer from B&H Photo, they were blowing them out for $500! We discussed this in the Mini forum at the time, and Apple continued selling refurbs at these ridiculous prices for quite awhile. Of course, things may have changed or they might be different with laptops.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
No, they won't be cheaper even in the refurb store, you will get them cheaper from other suppliers though. Just need to keep an eye out for the deals.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
It’s my understanding the refurbished are just open boxes or return defective, then repaired, and other things! At least you buy from straight from Apple then they would be AppleCared just like they are new!

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I want to buy a 16-inch MBP from the certified refurb store, but I'm tempted to wait until Sept/Oct to see if a new model is being released, in the hopes that I'd either buy that one, or more likely, get the old one cheaper. Is the old (2019) model likely to be sold cheaper from Apple?
I don't think they drop. In fact, I was looking at 2014 Mini's shortly after the 2018 models were introduced. They were listing a refurb 2014 2.8ghz/8gb Mini for around $900 at that time. I bought the same new computer from B&H Photo, they were blowing them out for $500! We discussed this in the Mini forum at the time, and Apple continued selling refurbs at these ridiculous prices for quite awhile. Of course, things may have changed or they might be different with laptops.

I can confirm that the pricing of refurbished models DO drop once those models are no longer newest. Similarly, if they are one rev behind, then they will be even cheaper once they become two revs behind. But be warned, the price discounts on two rev old hardware are such that they usually go quickly. I would use something like refurb.me to track the refurb of your choice.

That being said, depending on how much you're in the market for a 16" MacBook Pro, you're probably not going to get THAT big of a discount from waiting. The price drops are never THAT substantial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.