Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
As the title states! I wonder if both have cameras have it? Also, the rumours said that there was a slight difference in the size of the sensor, the 7 being slightly larger at 1/2.6" vs 1/3" for the wide angle lens. Anyone have any insight on that?

Personally I'm a little disappointed that the 56mm equivalent lens is only 2.8.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
As the title states! I wonder if both have cameras have it? Also, the rumours said that there was a slight difference in the size of the sensor, the 7 being slightly larger at 1/2.6" vs 1/3" for the wide angle lens. Anyone have any insight on that?

Personally I'm a little disappointed that the 56mm equivalent lens is only 2.8.
Yes. Both have OIS. The reason the Plus's camera has a smaller aperture is because of the "telephoto" lens. It's extremely difficult to make them with larger apertures due to the added complexity.

Phil Holland

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Dallas
Yes. Both have OIS. The reason the Plus's camera has a smaller aperture is because of the "telephoto" lens. It's extremely difficult to make them with larger apertures due to the added complexity.

It's not necessarily the difficulty as much as the size.

Large aperture telephoto lenses are VERY large.

See the Nikon 200mm f/2 for example.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
Yes, but 56mm is not considered telephoto. It's a "normal" lens. Secondly, it's not actually 56mm, it's equivalent. The aperture opening for the 2.8 lens is about 0.12mm, vs 0.185mm for a theoretical 1.8 lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.