Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biggest father1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
My wife and I just recently bought a new iPad Pro for photography work to see if it could replace a 2014 MacBook Pro.

Well, we’re loving it so far. But I can not seem to get the iPad Pro to read the CF cards that we use with our 5D Mark IV. We’re using a USB-C adapter which picks up the RAW files just fine from an SD card but the iPad Pro just says “No Photos to import” with a CF card.

Is anyone else having this issue or can confirm CF Cards do work?

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I don't have your exact equipment setup, but I can perhaps list some troubleshooting steps to try. Presumably you currently have the capability to read from the Compact Flash card when using your 2014 MacBook Pro; I would suggest connecting the CF card to the MacBook Pro and then open Disk Utility to confirm what filesystem format is in use there. Presumably it would be Fat32, perhaps it is EXFAT? Then compare that to what the SD card reports.

You might also want to try shooting some simple JPEG files with the camera that uses the CF card, just to see if the iPad can pick those up. This might inform you about whether the iPad simply doesn't recognize that camera's RAW format (I'm guessing that there are perhaps two different RAW formats involved here, since one camera uses SD and the other uses CF).

a.y.n

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
San Francisco
I also have the 5D Mark IV, I use a Kingston USB 3.0 multi-card reader with a USB-C to Micro-B 3.0 cable, and I can read CF cards just fine on my 11" iPad Pro.

Phil Smart

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2019
My wife and I just recently bought a new iPad Pro for photography work to see if it could replace a 2014 MacBook Pro.

Well, we’re loving it so far. But I can not seem to get the iPad Pro to read the CF cards that we use with our 5D Mark IV. We’re using a USB-C adapter which picks up the RAW files just fine from an SD card but the iPad Pro just says “No Photos to import” with a CF card.

Is anyone else having this issue or can confirm CF Cards do work?

Yes, I have exactly that issue. My CF card reads perfectly to a lightning iPad Pro, but doesn’t read at all, or even detect, via USB C on a 2018 iPad Pro. I’ve tried different readers, and a lightning to USB C adapter on a genuine Apple reader. Nothing seems to work, either for RAW or JPEG

biggest father1

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Thanks guys, I ended up purchasing a new adapter and it seems to be working fine with a CF card and RAW files.

It’s weird the adapter worked great with a USB-C MBP but not an iPad. Maybe iOS 13 will solve some of these problems if we get a better file management system.

tashh

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2019
Thanks guys, I ended up purchasing a new adapter and it seems to be working fine with a CF card and RAW files.

It’s weird the adapter worked great with a USB-C MBP but not an iPad. Maybe iOS 13 will solve some of these problems if we get a better file management system.
[doublepost=1557976424][/doublepost]Hi, What adaptor did you buy? I need to download from a CF card to a 2018 ipad pro and haven't been able to find what I need.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.