Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anyone had a broken home button on their iPhone?

• Yes, on the iPhone 5 or earlier

• Yes, on the iPhone 5s/6/6s/SE

• Yes, on the iPhone 7/8 series

• Never!

Results are only viewable after voting.

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
Not sure if you guys experienced this, but before Touch ID days, especially with iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th gen, I would often hear about people's touch button stop functioning and/or pressing. This seemed to be a common issue at that time. I personally had it on my (iPod 4, iPhone 4, and iPhone 5).
Does this issue still occur with newer iPhones (not X). I would not suspect it should affect the 7 or 8 series since they use a haptic engine (correct me if I am wrong).
But does this still occur commonly on the iPhone 6s/6/5s/SE? Just curios, if the Touch button stopped pressing on an iPhone with touch ID, would the sensor still read the finger print or does the entire unit stop working?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would not suspect it should affect the 7 or 8 series since they use a haptic engine (correct me if I am wrong).

Because the home button on iPhone 7/8 is a solid-state button but does not have a spring and is correlated with the haptic engine.

But does this still occur commonly on the iPhone 6s/6/5s/SE? Just curios, if the Touch button stopped pressing on an iPhone with touch ID, would the sensor still read the finger print or does the entire unit stop working?

Commonly? I highly doubt it’s common for the home button to fail on any of the models that you listed above with the 6S/6/5S/SE. Period. I’m sure Apple made some hardware changes to improve the home button experience perhaps with a different spring mechanism. When I owned my iPhone 6 and 6S, the button experience appeared different to me. So perhaps it’s little subtle changes the Apple made that you’re not aware of.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Never for me but the home button on the pre TouchID devices did stop working but very rarely. I guess anything mechanical can stop working. Considering how often it is used, it was pretty tough.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The button on my beloved SE had an unpleasant “clicky” feel, but it never quit working. Haven’t ever had any problems with home buttons other than or before that.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I haven’t ever had one fail on me. The version on my 7+ seems more temperamental than on older models, but I haven’t had major issues with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.