Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sensed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
So, I know this may be a weird question but I've been researching this subject and opinions vary... I know that bad software sneaks in the App Store, and I've read that Mac viruses do exist. So my questions are:
Do you think Macs need anti-virus programs?
Are the third-party anti-virus programs for Macs any good?
Thank you in advance!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Personally, no. As no native viruses exist for Macs, the only things AVs will pick up are Windows viruses. You can however pick up malware, which are malicious applications either bundled with legit ones, downloaded/installed using scareware tactics, or by exploiting plugins such as Java or Flash.

Not antivirus, but there are other applications that are very good. As almost every infection you'll encounter will be malware, I'd get MalwareBytes. No need to pay the premium, you can just keep the free version and run a manual scan every week: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac-download/

sensed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018

Personally, no. As no native viruses exist for Macs, the only things AVs will pick up are Windows viruses. You can however pick up malware, which are malicious applications either bundled with legit ones, downloaded/installed using scareware tactics, or by exploiting plugins such as Java or Flash.

Not antivirus, but there are other applications that are very good. As almost every infection you'll encounter will be malware, I'd get MalwareBytes. No need to pay the premium, you can just keep the free version and run a manual scan every week: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac-download/

Thank you for your answer!
https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/mac-viruses-malware-security-3668354/ - there are a bunch of articles like this one talking about malware that specifically targets Macs, and hence my worries... I am an ex Windows user and new to Mac, and had my fair share of troubles, and I want to keep myself informed and protected.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Thank you for your answer!
https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/mac-viruses-malware-security-3668354/ - there are a bunch of articles like this one talking about malware that specifically targets Macs, and hence my worries... I am an ex Windows user and new to Mac, and had my fair share of troubles, and I want to keep myself informed and protected.

Yep, all of those are malware.

There is no AV application I know of on Mac which would detect something malicious that MalwareBytes does not - with the exception of Windows viruses. MWB is your best bet.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
No.
You don't need "anti-virus" apps, because to this date, not a single "Mac virus" has ever been found "in the wild".

What you DO need is "malware/adware" detection/removal.
There is a FREE app named "MalwareBytes" that will perform this:
https://www.malwarebytes.com

IMPORTANT:
The MalwareBytes app is free, but once you have it, it will "prompt you" to upgrade to the "paid version".
YOU DO NOT NEED TO DO THIS -- IT WILL RUN "IN FREE MODE" FOREVER!
(all shouting intentional).
Just keep declining "invitation to pay".

iubhounds

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2010
Is MalwareBytes better than BitDefender? For the first time in 8 years, running no AntiVirus when I moved from a PC to a Mac, BitDefender found 3 files of Malware this past Saturday. I went into Finder/Applications and deleted the app in question and one I never used. Once that was deleted those three files disappeared from the BitDefender scan results.

I wonder if MalwareBytes might find something the BitDefender didn't.

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Is MalwareBytes better than BitDefender? For the first time in 8 years, running no AntiVirus when I moved from a PC to a Mac, BitDefender found 3 files of Malware this past Saturday. I went into Finder/Applications and deleted the app in question and one I never used. Once that was deleted those three files disappeared from the BitDefender scan results.

I wonder if MalwareBytes might find something the BitDefender didn't.

only last week I got malaware on my Mac , first time I got a nasty after ten years on a Mac.
It was something called chill-tab.. I removed some suspicious folders in my library and then I downloaded Malwarebytes (free version) it detected some more items . After it finished the scan I was still getting some pop ups. I downloaded Bitdefender free scanner, it found another item and after no more issues for me.

I think I will keep both malware and Bitdefender . there is a free antivirus from Bitdefender too, I only have the scanner

sensed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2018
thank you for the replies, will look into BitDefender! I liked BitDef for Windows, maybe it's gonna be a good fit for me for my Mac.

irvingate

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2018
I installed anti-virus once upon a time when my mac was infected by a malware. Currently, no anti-virus app on my MBP. I think it is useless for me.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So, I know this may be a weird question but I've been researching this subject and opinions vary... I know that bad software sneaks in the App Store, and I've read that Mac viruses do exist. So my questions are:
Thank you in advance!
Macs are not immune to malware and no system is 100% secure, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on macOS, and there never have been any since it was released over 17 years ago. The only true malware in the wild that can affect your Mac is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by being careful about what apps you install (no pirated software). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing. In addition, some antivirus apps have themselves been used to introduce malware to Macs. In general, macOS malware is so relatively rare, that only a very small percentage of Mac users have ever encountered any.

MSalemHawks

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2017
Actually there were some real viruses back in the OS9 and previous days. None since OS 10.
No need for anti-virus today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.