Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rajanna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2006
India
I am a DSLR newbie with a Canon 1000D and am quite enjoying learning how to use it. Do I need the Canon Software Suite that is bundled along with the camera as I am already using Aperture and Photoshop elements for Mac? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
well, since you have it, go ahead and try it out. DPP (Digital Photo Professional) is actually a pretty good RAW converter, with some features that only manufacturer-made software can have. it doesn't have much in the way of photo-editing tools, though.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
I seldom to never install the bundled software as 99% of it is junk. Given the options you have on a mac, and the fact that you have a couple pro apps, you shouldnt need most of them.

However, there is one you will need off that disk. I hadn't installed any of them and came across this problem - to update your camera with the latest firmware as they release new versions, you need the EOS utility (or whatever its called). I wouldnt however, install the other 10+ programs on the CD if your using aperature, iphoto, PS, etc.

Enjoy the new camera, I am loving mine!

- Chris

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
However, there is one you will need off that disk. I hadn't installed any of them and came across this problem - to update your camera with the latest firmware as they release new versions, you need the EOS utility (or whatever its called).

I don't think you even need that. I recently installed a firmware upgrade on my XSi, and I've never so much as unwrapped the software that came with my camera. I just followed the instructions for using an SD card to update the firmware.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am a DSLR newbie with a Canon 1000D and am quite enjoying learning how to use it. Do I need the Canon Software Suite that is bundled along with the camera as I am already using Aperture and Photoshop elements for Mac? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

I would say to use Canon's software only if you shoot raw format and happen to like canon's raw conversions and like it enough to use a more complex raw workflow. It's hard to beat Apertures ease of use, with Aperture the raw conversion is transparent, you don't notice it happenng. But if you use canon's software you'd first have to convert there then import the tiff files to Aperture and manage the archiving of the raw files manually. You have to really like canon's conversion to put up with that.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
I don't think you even need that. I recently installed a firmware upgrade on my XSi, and I've never so much as unwrapped the software that came with my camera. I just followed the instructions for using an SD card to update the firmware.

Really? Did you have to use a card reader? I was just plugged straight into the camera... I was able to download the firmware package, but needed the utility (I thought?) to actually apply it to the camera. I will have to look into that next update... The less useless software on my computer the better. Printers, scanners, cameras, etc all come with the biggest package of junk known to man. I also seldom even open the shrink wrap...

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Really? Did you have to use a card reader? I was just plugged straight into the camera... I was able to download the firmware package, but needed the utility (I thought?) to actually apply it to the camera. I will have to look into that next update... The less useless software on my computer the better. Printers, scanners, cameras, etc all come with the biggest package of junk known to man. I also seldom even open the shrink wrap...

Yeah, I just used an SD card in a card reader. There were instructions for that option on Canon's website. Very straightforward and easy to do.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

All depends. For example, some of the included software allows you to take photos with the camera connected to your computer, and use the computer screen to look at what you are taking photos of. Perhaps you don't need all of the software, but some of it is quite useful.

Firmware updates can created problems at times, specially if you don't follow the instructions to the letter. The last time I upgraded the firmware of my 40D, I charged the camera's battery, downloaded the firmware and instructions to the desktop, printed the instructions, formatted the card with the camera, then removed the card from the camera and inserted it in the card reader. The next step was to save the firmware (according to instructions) to the card, followed by moving the card back to the camera, and then running the firmware using the camera's menu. At the end of the installation, then I turned the camera off, waited several seconds, and then turned it back on, waited for it to do its thing, and then checked the menu for the new firmware.

Al I can tell you is to follow the instructions step by step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.