Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevinlu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2022
Dear AirTag Experts,

Thank you for reading this question. My apologies for not being able to find the answers myself. My mom and dad use an iPhone 7 and an iPhone 8 respectively, and each of them has their own AirTag.

When they tried to share their AirTag locations with my iPhone 12 Mini, I didn't receive any notifications, nor could I share my AirTag locations with them. Therefore, I am wondering if the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 support AirTag location sharing.

Thanks!

liam899

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2024
AirTag location sharing requires iOS 16.1 or later. iPhones 7 and 8 can't be updated past iOS 15, so the answer is no

Reactions: kevinlu

erihp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Thank you Liam. I guess I will buy each of them an iPhone 15.
iphone se uses touchid and similar form factor to their existing phones, less learning curve and it contains modern guts. iphone 15 is a little overkill. two or three SEs will cost less than one 15.

ownykt

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2024
The "Share Item Locator" feature is only available when Apple devices are upgraded to iOS 17. However, it's important to note that iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 may not be able to upgrade to iOS 17 or newer versions.

erihp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
The "Share Item Locator" feature is only available when Apple devices are upgraded to iOS 17. However, it's important to note that iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 may not be able to upgrade to iOS 17 or newer versions.
Someone beat you to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.