Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I’ve had this issue before iOS 18 and I have reported it for the 18 beta. I have a Focus Mode for DND set to turn off at 830am on weekdays, but it doesn’t turn off until 930am on weekday. I have another DND FM set for weekends which ends at 930am. But every weekday my DND turns off at 930, not 830. I’ve deleted the Focus Modes and added them again, restarted, but this is always the behavior. Really annoying.

I also continue to have the issue of notifications going straight to the notification center, which I wonder if it’s related to Focus Mode behavior.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
I don't have a real answer, but a couple of guesses.

Have "Share Across Devices" on? Had problems with that since day one of Focuses: would get odd enabling/disabling across devices so turned that feature off long ago (was not important to me as don't need to silence all my gizmos at same time, particularly when not at home).

Seeing every weekday or just Monday? Can see that happening as "Sunday" enable would need to be defined as "Start Saturday from 11p-9:30a". Same thing on Friday for "Saturday". "Monday" is "Start Sunday 11p-8:30a".

Otherwise, does look like a bug. Might work around it by using Shortcuts app and setting up Automations. Everyday @ 11p: Turn on Focus DND. Sat/Sun @ 9:30a: Turn off Focus DND, M-F @ 8:30a: Turn off Focus DND. I use Automations to enable/disable my Bedtime/DND Focus vs putting a schedule on it.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

Have "Share Across Devices" on? Had problems with that since day one of Focuses: would get odd enabling/disabling across devices so turned that feature off long ago (was not important to me as don't need to silence all my gizmos at same time, particularly when not at home).

Seeing every weekday or just Monday? Can see that happening as "Sunday" enable would need to be defined as "Start Saturday from 11p-9:30a". Same thing on Friday for "Saturday". "Monday" is "Start Sunday 11p-8:30a".

Otherwise, does look like a bug. Might work around it by using Shortcuts app and setting up Automations. Everyday @ 11p: Turn on Focus DND. Sat/Sun @ 9:30a: Turn off Focus DND, M-F @ 8:30a: Turn off Focus DND. I use Automations to enable/disable my Bedtime/DND Focus vs putting a schedule on it.
I have always had share across devices off and it still is.

Happens every weekday as I think back. However, I will test it tomorrow and see if it still goes through 930am.

I will look at automations and see if that works better.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA

The past 2 days Tuesday and Wednesday the DND did turn off at the correct time, 830am. Maybe it IS the Sunday issue? You’d think it’d start at the time listed for the weekend and end on the time listed for the weekday, as it’s no longer a weekend on Monday morning at 830am.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You’d think it’d start at the time listed for the weekend and end on the time listed for the weekday,

Not if you take Apple literally in how they describe it: "Have this Focus turn on automatically at a set time". Nothing about stop time being for that day only.

I've always worked under the assumption of "turn on Focus for X hours starting at..." paradigm.

ADD: and the assumption on how it works comes from how original DnD worked, starting in iOS 6. "By day" only came around with iOS 15 Focuses, which always felt like a slight extension of existing functionality re: scheduled DnD.

ios6_DND_tweak.jpg
ios6_DND_settings.jpg

Oh And: for anyone that stumbles upon this in the future, Focus schedules is a multi-purpose/generalized solution. Sure, does not work as wanted in OP as a sleep DnD, but schedules also need to work for something like work related DnD, which in turn needs to accommodate odd schedules (eg. 3x12, non-first shifts). Can't really assume when/which end time and or day applies for a general Focus (coding it up would be a no-win situation trying to satisfy everyone's wishes/assumptions).

Last edited:
Reactions: miamialley
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.