Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I decided it was a nice day to go for a walk and shoot the area around my neighborhood. I had my D50 on my tripod, and for convenience's sake, didn't take the camera off the tripod, just carried the tripod with the camera still mounted, legs extended.

People were looking at me like I was the resurrection of John Lennon. Have any of you ever experienced that?

I also notice when I have my D50 in public, people look at me with either interest, or disgust (not sure why disgust)...

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Yes. People look at me funny in the rare chance that I'm actually shooting. You see, I tend to appreciate photos of texture. So I often wind up laying on the ground or sitting on the ground to get some shots. So yes, inevitably, folks passing by give me odd looks. :eek:

It's no biggie. I just wish I could ever take some decent shots. :p

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
All the time. Most people in my area smile at me because I am one of the only kids in my area that actually make time and take an interest in something I really love. I don't get "disgust" looks. I get interested looks.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
We were talking tripod photos in the John Hancock Observatory in Chicago recently, and we had the opposite experience. It seems that if you are setting up or using a tripod, people think you must be a professional or at least an expert, and they watch you while staying out of the way of your shot.

With a little point-and-shoot, it's every man for himself and people walk right through the scene you are trying to shoot.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
People tend to ignore me, or just momentarily glance and not react when I'm taking pictures. Probably because my camera's not impressive. ;)

But when I shoot video, my crew tends to draw a small crowd of people, some even ask to be in whatever I'm doing.

Silly peoples. :)

jeffzoom91

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2005
Florida
I'm With Doctor Q

I usually get that feeling that I am getting shot in the back with eyes by anyone who passes if I am out shooting, but alot of the time, I shoot with my dad around, who almost always has a nice bit of white glass attached. However, now that I have my SLR, it is instant respect magnet, tripod or not. The bigger the lens (or sometimes body) the more people attempt to stay out of the shot...but there will always be those r-tards.....

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I don't notice anymore.
Who cares, really? You should look right back at them, and make them feel awkward, like they missed something.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
When I'm out shooting, I always get strange looks. One little girl walked by me and said "Mommy look at his big fancy camera!" & yes, it seems the longer the lens the more people I attract.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Camera Envy?

A short while ago, my wife and I went to the zoo, probably the busiest place we've been to since getting our SLR's. One thing I noticed, those with P&S cameras tended to close up and not let us in, while those with SLR made room....

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
I just don't even bother to notice anymore. I mean from time to time I do notice that I get a few curious stares when I have my camera slung around on my shoulder or hanging off of my neck.. but as I've become more comfortable with shooting in public I've realized that the less you notice the people who notice you, the sooner they lose interest in you. If that makes any sense.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I sometimes get odd looks, but that's because I sometimes take the same shot with:
A Canon A1
A really, really cheap digital P&S
A decent Digital P&S
A Holga
and a Fisheye.:eek:

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
It's interesting- perhaps the first time I've felt that way was a couple of weeks ago. I was downtown where there was a marathon my GF and her friend were running. I was standing a little ways from the starting line with my 5D, a 70-200 f/2.8 with hood (huge white thing for those that don't know). There was a group of people that came by, also trying to take pictures, but when they saw what I was holding, one of them appologized, and told all her friends to watch out, " 'cause this guy is taking pictures." It made me feel a bit weird- I mean all I was doing was the same thing that they were- taking pictures of my friends.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i get odd/mean looks from my friends, as they are not what you would call "picture people." it's sad, really, because i hardly have any pictures of my friends. :(

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
The bigger the lens (or sometimes body) the more people attempt to stay out of the shot

I've found that to be more or less true, as well. And I have to admit that sometimes, if enough people aren't moving out of the way, I flip my lens hood out to make the camera look bigger. Works almost every time.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
I've found that to be more or less true, as well. And I have to admit that sometimes, if enough people aren't moving out of the way, I flip my lens hood out to make the camera look bigger. Works almost every time.
Also a good strategy.

When I shoot at sporting events, people often ask me if Im working for the Yearbook at my school, or some school, or why I'm shooting. More often then not, I just shoot for people who I know on the field, or occasional school/city commission.

If I just go out to shoot in the city, or fields, or wherever, people usually understand, and often, make attempts to talk to me. I guess anyone with a big camera gets to feel some of society's fascination with the Photographer; it's almost a mythical, heroic profession.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles

i don't know about you, but i notice a dslr way faster than i would notice any point and shoot camera mostly because of the size. with the latter it just looks like they're holding up something, not taking pictures :(

i occasionally walk through people trying to take pictures only because i just don't notice that they have a camera. sucks, and i hate it when people do that to me, but it happens.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
i get some weird looks from people when i point the camera in their direction and follow them around...

Is that everywhere or just changing rooms :eek:

When I (rarely now) get to shoot, or have to take shots for family events, I do notice that people take the pictures a lot more seriously when I have my D70 that when I pull out Mrs 26's P&S.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Yes. I get kind of nervous about it because I really don't know what I'm doing and it's a rather nice camera. :eek:

You don't know weird looks until you walk around taking pictures of a garden gnome though. :p (long story)

- -

Apple Store on Regent Street:

-

-

:D

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
There was a group of people that came by, also trying to take pictures, but when they saw what I was holding, one of them appologized, and told all her friends to watch out, " 'cause this guy is taking pictures." It made me feel a bit weird- I mean all I was doing was the same thing that they were- taking pictures of my friends.

That's funny. "Watch out everyone! Guy with big camera coming through!" Maybe you should bring pylons and box out your own space around you while you shoot. I'm sure people would jump out of the way and make sure they never EVER enter your space. ;)

I get stares from people, but only because I'm a student and apparently, I own a "gun" camera. I usually reply with "Thanks, it's not bad", but.....to be honest..... I don't really know what that means other than that it's some sort of compliment.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Try using a 4x5

I get looks all the time with my Nikon but you really haven't been looked at until you pull out a 4x5 view camera with a huge tripod attached...

Like this (Isn't me but gives you the idea)
WilsonCamera.jpg

People will stop and actually stare at me. I'll pull the dark cloth off and they will either go on their way or stop and start asking me questions. The most often question I hear is "Is that really a camera?" or plainly "What is that?". I find it funny just for the simple fact that you hardly ever see these cameras out in public anymore.

~Crawn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.