Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I already asked this in a thread specifically about 11” touch issues with a protector, but figured most would miss it, and it is something I would appreciate MRF oppinion on:

I accidentaly found someone on this forum mentioning how a screen protector (plastic one, PaperLike) ruined their screen by leaving residue that couldn’t be removed. First time I’ve ever heard of such a thing - I removed several plastic protectors before (including PaperLike) with no residue at all.

I’ve googled and haven’t seen anyone complain (the only person that mentions this issue was that forum poster - and this was their one and only post on MRF, so I can’t really know if it’s even reliable)

So.... paranoid as I am - anyone worried about adhesives and such? I currently have a PaperLike on my 12.9” 3rd gen iPad Pro and I am mostly satisfied with it.... but the thought of it leaving some unremovable adhesive on the screen makes me want to take it off immediately and check the screen - something I wouldn’t like to do, since I like the feel of it and I hate putting these on. Since a lot of people use screen protectors here, I thought I’d ask if they ever had any issues with residue, upon removing the film from the screen.

I am mostly interested in plastic ones, as I only use matte ones for the Pencil feel, but any thoughts are welcome, really. Thanks.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
From my experience using them on multiple phones and tablets over the years iOS and Android devices included. I have found that if the device uses actual glass i.e. "gorilla glass" then you're good to go. However if you are placing it on a non glass type screen and leave it on for an extended period of time i.e. "months" and you are in a warm climate then yes I have seen residue stick to the screen area that is nearly impossible to get off because it has seeped into the plastic.

I had that happen with a 2012 Galaxy Tablet but I have never had that happen with a device that uses glass such as iPad's. In fact I recently removed a screen protector that was on an iPad 2 that was on there for 5 years and not a single smudge or residue could be seen when the screen protector came off.

Reactions: aevan

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
From my experience using them on multiple phones and tablets over the years iOS and Android devices included. I have found that if the device uses actual glass i.e. "gorilla glass" then you're good to go. However if you are placing it on a non glass type screen and leave it on for an extended period of time i.e. "months" and you are in a warm climate then yes I have seen residue stick to the screen area that is nearly impossible to get off because it has seeped into the plastic.

I had that happen with a 2012 Galaxy Tablet but I have never had that happen with a device that uses glass such as iPad's. In fact I recently removed a screen protector that was on an iPad 2 that was on there for 5 years and not a single smudge or residue could be seen when the screen protector came off.

That’s reassuring - and a very detailed answer. Thanks!

What about oleophobic coating on many glass screens? Do you think that can cause some problems?

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
That’s reassuring - and a very detailed answer. Thanks!

What about oleophobic coating on many glass screens? Do you think that can cause some problems?
With the recent Corning technology that shouldn't be a problem either if you decide not to use a screen protector. If you do decide to put a screen protector on your iPad my suggestion would be to use a "Tempered Glass" screen protector instead of the plastic film.

They offer better protection in the event something falls on the screen because it's actual glass.

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
The worst that’s ever happened to me is sometimes when I leave a film protector on for a really long time, it’ll leave some weird sticky residue on there. It always comes right off with a microfiber cloth and a tiny bit of effort.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
With the recent Corning technology that shouldn't be a problem either if you decide not to use a screen protector. If you do decide to put a screen protector on your iPad my suggestion would be to use a "Tempered Glass" screen protector instead of the plastic film.

They offer better protection in the event something falls on the screen because it's actual glass.

Thank you, but I am not using the protector for protection but rather for the physical feel of the screen when using the Pencil. Matte screen protectors offer resistance that feels much better (though the side-effect is a slightly grainy picture).

Perhaps there are matte glass protectors too that act in a similar way.
[doublepost=1547140538][/doublepost]
The worst that’s ever happened to me is sometimes when I leave a film protector on for a really long time, it’ll leave some weird sticky residue on there. It always comes right off with a microfiber cloth and a tiny bit of effort.

Thank you! Really long time being weeks? Months? Years? :) Curious!

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Thank you, but I am not using the protector for protection but rather for the physical feel of the screen when using the Pencil. Matte screen protectors offer resistance that feels much better (though the side-effect is a slightly grainy picture).

Perhaps there are matte glass protectors too that act in a similar way.
[doublepost=1547140538][/doublepost]

Thank you! Really long time being weeks? Months? Years? :) Curious!
I don't know if Amazon.com is available in Serbia but this will give you an idea what's available in their US Store.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ipad+tempered+glas+matte

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I don't know if Amazon.com is available in Serbia but this will give you an idea what's available in their US Store.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=ipad+tempered+glas+matte

It is available, though not all companies ship to Serbia. But it’s ok, most screen protectors do get shipped.

The question is - how do I know which one gives a good feel for the pencil. I’ll have to do some research.

Also, my main concern is the unremovable residue and as far as I know, glass ones use adhesives too.

I guess this whole fear of damaging the screen with a protector is unfounded.

Thank you either way.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
It is available, though not all companies ship to Serbia. But it’s ok, most screen protectors do get shipped.

The question is - how do I know which one gives a good feel for the pencil. I’ll have to do some research.

Also, my main concern is the unremovable residue and as far as I know, glass ones use adhesives too.

Thank you either way.
You want to look for the words “pencil compatible” or smooth finish. If still in doubt you can ask your question to the seller or post it on Amazon’s Q&A product page in the event someone who’s purchased it, can verify it for you. Also read the reviews, as sometimes you’ll find your answer in someone’s review.

Finally, when ordering on Amazon, choose a product that qualifies for Amazon Prime because that way your order is fulfilled by Amazon. That way if you don’t like it, you can return it.

Reactions: Mr.C

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Thank you either way.

Check this post by sracer:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...n-terms-of-performance.2164155/#post-26985771

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.