Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawrtiger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
I'm looking to buy a new 15" rMBP (don't really care for the Haswell update so not waiting) but I want to know if image retention is still an issue.

Does anyone with a 2013 rMBP experience it?

Last edited:

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
have used two early 2013 retinas. One i used for a week it had no image retention or dead pixels the other one i am using close to a month now no image retention or dead pixels.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
By now, Apple should have worked the manufacturing quirks out of them. So my informed and educated guess is no.

I don't think its apple's Manufacturing quirks but issues with the LG display. While not all LG displays exhibit this, a lot seem too and given what we see here, I'm not so sure its been solved by LG yet.

I'm unaware of the Samsung has this problem, but my rMBP with a samsung display is perfect.

asdfgbg

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2013
Germany
I have a rMBP 15"(2013) since yesterday and it has the new revision of the LG screens. So far no IR. Hopefully they fixed it:apple:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a rMBP 15"(2013) since yesterday and it has the new revision of the LG screens. So far no IR. Hopefully they fixed it:apple:

Agreed, and I hope my post doesn't give you too much consternation. I think there are lots of LG panels that are fine, but here in the forum we rarely see people creating threads stating how great a display panel is - just the opposite.

asdfgbg

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2013
Germany
How do you tell if a 15" rMBP has the "new" revision of the LG screen?

Enter '' ioreg -lw0 | grep \”EDID\” | sed “/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6 '' into Terminal.

LP = LG (SJA1 is the old revision, SJA2 the new one)

LSN = Samsung

ajanini

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil
I hoje you guys are right and Apple/LG has fixed IR, but just so you know, on my mid 2012 rMBP IR showed up after about 5 months of use.

It's being repaired now. Hope I get a Samsung screen now.

asdfgbg

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2013
Germany
I hoje you guys are right and Apple/LG has fixed IR, but just so you know, on my mid 2012 rMBP IR showed up after about 5 months of use.

It's being repaired now. Hope I get a Samsung screen now.

Yeah, that's what I'm worrying about. I could still give it back to Amazon and get another one, till i got one with a Samsung screen.
My screen is perfectly fine right now, but there are so many people who reported that IR develops over time, that's what bother me.:(

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, that's what I'm worrying about. I could still give it back to Amazon and get another one, till i got one with a Samsung screen.
My screen is perfectly fine right now, but there are so many people who reported that IR develops over time, that's what bother me.:(

If you just bought it new have a full year or standard warranty, so don't worry too much. You can also extend the warranty through Applecare for $250 (B&H or other discounted retailers) to be covered for 2 extra years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.