Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bammargera3176

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2015
Hello,

I am going to be getting the new iPhone when it is released this fall and i was wondering if anyone has any opinion on if its better to do the upgrade program through Apple or through your carrier (Verizon for me). I am going to be leaving my two year contract with ATT due to family reasons and will be joining other family members lines on Verizon. I definitely want to do the upgrade program so i can get a new phone every year, i just dont know if there is a general consensus if its better to do it thru Apple or Verizon. I'm assuming the prices may be pretty similar, maybe it might come down to better customer service?

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
Hello,

I am going to be getting the new iPhone when it is released this fall and i was wondering if anyone has any opinion on if its better to do the upgrade program through Apple or through your carrier (Verizon for me). I am going to be leaving my two year contract with ATT due to family reasons and will be joining other family members lines on Verizon. I definitely want to do the upgrade program so i can get a new phone every year, i just dont know if there is a general consensus if its better to do it thru Apple or Verizon. I'm assuming the prices may be pretty similar, maybe it might come down to better customer service?

Apple's iPhone upgrade program includes Apple Care+ so cost is around 4$/month more. In my case i have got my wife's phone on iPhone upgrade program as sometimes she is careless with her phone. Mine is on AT&T yearly upgrade!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Hello,

Apple, comes unlocked and no upgrade fees.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I bought my 7 through the IUP this time. My last two phones were trough carriers. I now prefer to have AppleCare and Apple support, in general, when things go wrong. Also, I much prefer to not be tied to a carrier. I have the freedom with the IUP to tell the carrier to take a hike, if they provide bad service.

bammargera3176

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 16, 2015
I'm confused - so if I do it thru apple I don't have to deal with the carrier, even with paying for data and stuff? The new line I would be joining on Verizon already has four other people in it so I want to take advantage of that having a lower price due to it being a family line size instead of it just being myself dealing with apple? That's if you do it thru apple and you only deal with them and no carrier

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I'm confused - so if I do it thru apple I don't have to deal with the carrier, even with paying for data and stuff? The new line I would be joining on Verizon already has four other people in it so I want to take advantage of that having a lower price due to it being a family line size instead of it just being myself dealing with apple? That's if you do it thru apple and you only deal with them and no carrier
You pay for the phone through Apple, and your phone bill (data plan etc.) is paid for and handled through Verizon.

Reactions: PaladinGuy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.