Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
South England
There are never details of their CPUs prior to launch. But Apples iPhone chips usually push the boundaries of what the market expects. So it's likely to be impressive

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
I think it'll probably beat the a10x in single core and lose out on multi-core, I feel like Apple will stick to a dual core for the phones processor. I could be wrong, but it would be a good improvement in performance without repeating the embarrassment of their phones being more powerful than their super-tablets (especially only a month or two after they were released).

davelees76

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2014
I think it'll probably beat the a10x in single core and lose out on multi-core, I feel like Apple will stick to a dual core for the phones processor. I could be wrong, but it would be a good improvement in performance without repeating the embarrassment of their phones being more powerful than their super-tablets (especially only a month or two after they were released).

That's pretty exciting. It sounds like the A10X is a beast, will be great to have something at least as powerful in the next iphones.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Generally a next generation CPU will always perform better than an existing generation. What's the point of releasing a new version otherwise?

Reactions: ABC5S and 44267547

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Generally a next generation CPU will always perform better than an existing generation. What's the point of releasing a new version otherwise?

The real interesting question is will Apple stick to radically improving dual core (like they did with the A9 after the A8X) or are they essentially capped at dual core now and will be forced to increase the cores in the phone? If it stays down at dual core and the A11x dropped and improved on that, the a10x will be the odd processor out like the a8x at the moment, and the talk about just how powerful it is would be a little out of place like when people try to tout the iPad Air 2's multi core because it just isn't relevant a good amount of time.

Reactions: akash.nu

davelees76

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2014

My understanding is that there was the original A10 chip, then a new A10X chip. I didn't know if the 'X' indicated it was some sort of iPad class chip that would have more performance than the equivalent A10 chip in the iPhone.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
My understanding is that there was the original A10 chip, then a new A10X chip. I didn't know if the 'X' indicated it was some sort of iPad class chip that would have more performance than the equivalent A10 chip in the iPhone.

Yes, that's exactly what it is.

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
South England
The real interesting question is will Apple stick to radically improving dual core (like they did with the A9 after the A8X) or are they essentially capped at dual core now and will be forced to increase the cores in the phone? If it stays down at dual core and the A11x dropped and improved on that, the a10x will be the odd processor out like the a8x at the moment, and the talk about just how powerful it is would be a little out of place like when people try to tout the iPad Air 2's multi core because it just isn't relevant a good amount of time.

I thought the A10 fusion was quad core already?

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
I thought the A10 fusion was quad core already?

Only two cores operate at once. It's either the two high performance cores that you see in the benchmarks, or it's two low powered cores to save power. It does not run four at once. The a10x is a six core design but only three are ever active (3 performance 3 power saving).

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
South England
Only two cores operate at once. It's either the two high performance cores that you see in the benchmarks, or it's two low powered cores to save power. It does not run four at once. The a10x is a six core design but only three are ever active.

Ah, ok. So are there android phones that effectively use 4 cores at once?

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Ah, ok. So are there android phones that effectively use 4 cores at once?

Yes but their single cores are often far lower than what Apple has been Able to achieve, Apple is absolutely owning single core scores ATM and are matching their android competitions multi core with less cores. There are also android cpus that work like the a10 where some cores are regulated to low power tasks and some turn on during high performance. I believe android is even pushing 8 cores at once now in some cases.

QuiteGrumpy

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2016
South England
Yes but their single cores are often far lower than what Apple has been Able to achieve, Apple is absolutely owning single core scores ATM and are matching their android competitions multi core with less cores. There are also android cpus that work like the a10 where some cores are regulated to low power tasks and some turn on during high performance. I believe android is even pushing 8 cores at once now in some cases.

Now that you say that, I remember reading some of that last year when the A10 was released.

Well, that's the kind of thoughtful engineering that makes Apple different I guess. Not just beefy specs but the best use of carefully designed hardware and software.

Reactions: acorntoy

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
Remember, the A10X is manufactured on 10nm proces and the A10 is still 16nm.
If the A11 is made on 10nm and dual-core, it will be slower than A10X in both single and multi-core performance!

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Remember, the A10X is manufactured on 10nm proces and the A10 is still 16nm.
If the A11 is made on 10nm and dual-core, it will be slower than A10X in both single and multi-core performance!

unless Apple clocks the processor at more than 2.3;) But it would be very interesting to see Apple do a higher clocked phone processor at the 10nm level than the iPad, but maybe Apple just wanted to be able to say that on multicore the iPad is like a laptop and went for more cores :rolleyes:. Apples chips are fascinating.​

griefrev

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Louisville, KY
I haven't been able to find anything, does anyone have an idea?

Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

Reactions: PaulKemp

davelees76

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2014
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?

Marty DiBergi: I don't know.

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?

Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.

Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?

Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

And there we have it!

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
YouTube ZoneofTech shows a possible Geekbench of 4600SC and 8500MC. Check out his YouTube video

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.