Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BDwy27

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2015
Might be a dumb question.... do you fast charge overnight. I got the MagSafe and don’t want to put it in the 20W c brick cause it will charge too fast overnight... was thinking on finding a 15w or smaller usb c charger to plug the mag safe in for overnight charging.... trying to not damage battery etc

Thoughts?

cchs2014

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2014
I did last night and wondered if that would affect the battery... This is my first time using a fast charger but I usually plug the charger in before bed. The phone finished charging between the time I got in bed and then actually decided to go to sleep.

Reactions: BDwy27

BDwy27

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2015
Yeah, I’m not sure if I’ll just charge my phone when I get up or what. Just don’t want the phone to over heat etc. don’t have experience with the fast charger. Coming from the iPhone X... I just used a wireless charger Matt

kid84

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2017
I charged overnight everyday since .... iPhone 5 !
Last night was overnight with MagSafe too, and will doing that every night until next year upgrade ....

I have AppleCare+ protection added , and dont worry much about that

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
When needed, I just do regular charging for my 11PM. Even though I’m working from home for now, I listen to music through my air pods for most of the day. I need music in my life to maintain sanity.

BDwy27

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2015
Thanks for the replies. Gonna hold off on the MagSafe stick to the Qi wireless charger I have. Will use fast charging during day when really need to charge fast!

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Wireless charge in bedroom and at my work desk. Only use a plug in the car usually.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Charge when you want, with whatever cable/brick you want, and live your life. I charge overnight every night for the last ten years both fast and slow. Never had a battery problem.

Last edited:

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I qi charge my XS with a Samsung Duo Qi every night and it does the 7.5w. I have had no problems. I would think that Apple has advanced battery tech in the last 2 years so that 15W works great. I fast charge my S10 all the time over night and it works fine too.

I wouldn't worry about it.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If you want to keep the phone for 5 years using the original battery, I'd avoid fast charging and leaving the phone plugged into ANY charger over night.
Gotta remember that most people giving charging advice churn though iPhones every year or so - so their recommendation based on how THEY charge is worthless - unless you're an iPhone churner too.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2016
If you want to keep the phone for 5 years using the original battery, I'd avoid fast charging and leaving the phone plugged into ANY charger over night.
Gotta remember that most people giving charging advice churn though iPhones every year or so - so their recommendation based on how THEY charge is worthless - unless you're an iPhone churner too.
Bizarre advice. The people here giving their advice have perhaps read the literature.

Last edited:

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
My XS Max is 2 yrs old now and 96% battery health. I charge nightly overnight on a generic Qi charging pad, plugged into a slow-ish Anker (definitely not an 18w+ one). During the day when it hits 80-85% I usually charge here on the couch back to 100% (wfh these days) otherwise in the office I have another generic wireless charging stand.

I usually get a new phone every other year, and occasionally upgrade every year (8 Plus to X to XS Max).

I've always heard the slower the better for charging and between 50% to 80% - which I do for my Tesla battery but not for my phone. I generally keep the phone mostly topped off, albeit slow charging. If I was keeping the phone more than 2-3 years, I'd still probably just get a battery replacement at the 3rd year if the degradation was more than 85%.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
Does the 18w charger that came with the 11 pro max give the full 15w for MagSafe or do you need the 20w for it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.