Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
It happens to me sometimes - I'm working in Procreate or CSP and the Pencil registers a double tap although I didn't actually tap it twice - and changes the tool. I do move it around in my hand slightly and often adjust my hold so this could be it - but then again, when I actually try to recreate this (activating the gesture just by wiggling the Pencil in my hand and not actually double-tapping) it never happens unless I intentionally tap it twice. It almost seems random. Otherwise it works great.

It doesn't happen often, but it is a bit annoying. I've heard Rene Ritchie mention in his podcast how he sometimes accidentaly activates the tool change on the new Pencil in Procreate - so I'm guessing this happens. Anyone else have this issue?

Reactions: sneak3

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
I really like the eraser on the back side of the stylus design, I wish Apple had done something like that, I think the MS Surface pens have that.

I’m so fidgety with a pen in my hand that a double tap gesture on the side was asking for trouble.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Double tap is a major fail. Procreate allows keyboard commands and other
art developers should follow their lead. And yes--double tap undo on screen
is also retarded

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Double tap is a major fail. Procreate allows keyboard commands and other
art developers should follow their lead. And yes--double tap undo on screen
is also retarded

If you mean two-finger tap on screen to undo, that is amazing and should be default iOS system-wide behavior.

Reactions: Donka

aevan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
This would've been great! Besides the accidental taps being pretty annoying, the double tap feature is quite uncomfortable to execute imho.

I guess it’s personal preference - I never cared for those and having to flip the pencil to erase. If you’re an illustrator, you often switch between a pencil and eraser: draw a line, erase bits, draw a line, erase parts of it, etc. Flipping the pencil constatnly: not a good experience.

All I ask is to make the double tap more reliable.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I've had this Affinity Photo and it is annoying when it does happen, granted not very often. I'm hoping this is something that can be addressed by software as it is interpreting movement of the Pencil as a double tap. This probably needs fine tuned so it is properly identified by an intentional double tap.
I'm sending feedback to Apple.

hancuriang

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
Yes... I do wish it needs stronger taps to activate though like the airpods, and I wish you can slide your finger on it to change brush size...

But you might find this interesting, double tapping with index finger feels unnatural for me so when accidental double tap happened, It was annoying. but I found double tapping with my thumb is very easy, it’s really natural, so while this might not fix the initial problem it just... becomes very easy to just double tap back.

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
YES THAT happened to me several times now. I just got the pencil and while sketching in procreate, it would activate the double tab by just rubbing the pencil against my hand, even though I keep it firmly between 3 fingers.

Im gonna try to put a skin or maybe a sleeve to decrease the sensitivity.

Thought it was a defect but apparently normal at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.