Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
I'm thinking of buying one. I was looking at the Alien Bee packages because I know the name. I am new to buying studio lighting but not new to studio lighting if that makes sense. Any thoughts or suggestions for someone who takes portraits indoors and outdoors of anywhere from 1 to 15 people? (let's say 1-8 to be safer, 15 is a once a year deal). ;)

freeflydrew

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2004
ny
i have 2 ab800s and 1 abr800... I find for portraits here and there, plus the occassional prom or special event, this is fine. I prefer to use natural light and reflectors outside if at all possible or the 550ex speedlight on a bracket as a fill flash...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm thinking of buying one. I was looking at the Alien Bee packages because I know the name. I am new to buying studio lighting but not new to studio lighting if that makes sense. Any thoughts or suggestions for someone who takes portraits indoors and outdoors of anywhere from 1 to 15 people? (let's say 1-8 to be safer, 15 is a once a year deal). ;)

The other option, other then AB is to hunt down a set of used "industrial" grade equipment. You can find used Speedotron, Norman or even Sinar Bron Broncolor power pack systems for surprisingly low prices. AB looks good and is easy to buy, no hunting around. I found a studo going out of bussnes and got their Norman power pack equipment. Some fan cooled heads, reflectors, grids, bard doors and so on. I really like the two foot diametr "Pan". It's all those little items like the grids that cost $$

The same goes triple for light stands. I picked up some very sturdy 9 foot stands for about $20 each. I even found some with the case metal base and casters for that price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.