Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you have signs of staingate with M1 Pro/Air?

• After a week

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • After a mouth

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • After 2-6 mouths

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • After 6+ mouths

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 83.8%

• Total voters

Moka Akashiya

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2020
Is broken dots of reflective coating is still warranty case? Can it be fixed around world only in one year or 4 years after purchase for free? And does screen replacement makes sense with current, probably defective, design, or this is permanent problem anyway? Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Since you're asking the question, do YOU think you have it on YOUR m1?

Unless Apple has changed how it applies the anti-glare coating to the display surface on the MacBook Pro line, I will -guess- that m1 MBP's are as susceptible to "StainGate" as were other MBP's that have preceded them...

Tenkaykev

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2020
Is this an issue?, My screen has a couple of finger smudges from opening and closing, but a wipe with my glasses cleaning cloth sorts that out. I've had my M1 since December.
I suspect it's the usual SHOUTY!! YouTube click baiters trying to drive traffic to their channels.
If there is a problem with your screen then return it under warranty.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I think Apple have learned their very expensive lesson with their previous ill-thought out application of 3Ms anti glare treatment to the outside of the screen glass. My guess is they are maybe applying the treatment just to the inside of the glass.

There is definitely something going on with the outside of the M1 MBA screen though, it seems like some sort of oleophobic treatment maybe?

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
Not quite sure what the OP is asking, but if you're in Japan as your User Name suggests then call Apple Support and set up a case number to have your computer checked. If you have AppleCare they will do a fantastic job of getting it back to you as soon as they can.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I think Apple have learned their very expensive lesson with their previous ill-thought out application of 3Ms anti glare treatment to the outside of the screen glass. My guess is they are maybe applying the treatment just to the inside of the glass."

This makes no sense.

It's THE OUTSIDE of the glass that is "glossy".
Putting anti-glare coating on the inside of the glass would do nothing.

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.