Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve_M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2022
Hello, I notice that my iPhone 14 pro max has this gap between the screen and the frame in the top. On normal situation is barely perceivable. However, when you look at the right angle, you can clearly see a gap and even parts of the internal components.

I wonder is I got a defective one or if it is normal across the board.

CleanShot 2022-10-01 at 10.27.54@2x.png

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
I sure do see a lot of flaws here being posted about these things. Is this normal? Makes me wonder how your even made it out of the factory. Maybe it’s time for Apple to get out of China

Reactions: willchris

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I sure do see a lot of flaws here being posted about these things. Is this normal? Makes me wonder how your even made it out of the factory. Maybe it’s time for Apple to get out of China
Of the millions of phones sold, there are always going to be some that fell through the cracks of QC. Yes, it’s normal to have a few hundred phones with flaws. The thing is, most of us aren’t going to be posting “my phone is perfect, and the OS is working fine! Anyone else?” That’s not human nature.

Reactions: akash.nu

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
Of the millions of phones sold, there are always going to be some that fell through the cracks of QC. Yes, it’s normal to have a few hundred phones with flaws. The thing is, most of us aren’t going to be posting “my phone is perfect, and the OS is working fine! Anyone else?” That’s not human nature.
What good is the OS if the hardware is defective. An assembly defect such as this isn’t going to be just one phone, because something was misaligned in the assembly machine. Empirically it appears that the quality control is defective as well because they didn’t catch it. This and the many other defective phones should have never left the factory!!!

Last edited:

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
What good is the OS if the hardware is defective. An assembly defect such as this isn’t going to be just one phone, because something was misaligned in the assembly machine. Empirically it appears that the quality control is defective as well because they didn’t catch it. This and the many other defective phones should have never left the factory!!!
Which is why I said they fell through the QC cracks.

What’s the confusion? Yes, it’s a defect. Yes, it should have been caught. No, it’s not the only one.

It seems like you have unrealistic expectations. There isn’t a large manufacturer on earth that produces millions of perfect products without a small percentage of mistakes. Most mistakes don’t leave the factory, but some always do. As long as the customer is made right with as little hassle as possible, there’s no call for outrage, IMO.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
RMA. Looks like your IP68 rating will be compromised with such a large gap causing problems for you down the line.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
Which is why I said they fell through the QC cracks.

What’s the confusion? Yes, it’s a defect. Yes, it should have been caught. No, it’s not the only one.

It seems like you have unrealistic expectations. There isn’t a large manufacturer on earth that produces millions of perfect products without a small percentage of mistakes. Most mistakes don’t leave the factory, but some always do. As long as the customer is made right with as little hassle as possible, there’s no call for outrage, IMO.
Oh! Sorry I didn’t mean for you to take it so personally. I was just stating the fact that this should never have left the building 😀😀😀😀 enjoy your day 😀😀😀😀

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I didn’t notice any gaps, but I also didn’t look over my phone nearly as close as that photo you shared.

alexlovesmac

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2021
Malaysia
10 years ago, I waited in line since about 06:00 on launch day for the iPhone 5. I bought mine, went home, unboxed it, and found that it had some "test photos" on it, i.e., it looked like a pre-production or prototype sort of phone. I went back to the Apple Store I got it from and they swapped a brand new one for me right away, without needing to queue in line again.

Reactions: Ntombi

acmfaxxe

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
A small gap should be normal if you look very closely. I also have this with my iPhone 14 Pro Max. The display models also had such a gap in the store.

I have also seen a gap in many youtube videos about the iPhone 14 Pro (Max).

Comparison also here:

And:

Edit:
You usually have to look very closely and preferably in daylight or with a flashlight....

Last edited:

JoSeAnToNiO83

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Hello, I notice that my iPhone 14 pro max has this gap between the screen and the frame in the top. On normal situation is barely perceivable. However, when you look at the right angle, you can clearly see a gap and even parts of the internal components.

I wonder is I got a defective one or if it is normal across the board.

View attachment 2085178
Hello, I also had that problem and believe me it is present in many units, in some it is more noticeable than in others or it is present in another part of the phone. To me I passed with a replacement of an iPhone 13 Pro which sent to repair for failure of the mute button, they gave me a refurbished unit that had it in the same place as yours but not all the way only on the right side and the gap was wider, it seemed poorly mounted the screen I sent it again and a new one came with the same problem but to which long on the right side, I ended up selling the phone since I was not convinced by the quality of construction of it and returning to use an iPhone X until i buy the new iPhone 14 Pro, which is pretty good assembling since the small gap is pretty much the same around the entire phone. I can tell you that the Apple Store in the exhibition models you can appreciate that problem which as I told you in some is more noticeable and in others less, according to them it does not affect the ip certification, but aesthetically it is not according to the price we pay for these phones.

Sorry for my English

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
Not the same gap, a different gap in a different spot. The OP’s gap is gaping big and is not waterproof

Reactions: Ntombi

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
A small gap should be normal if you look very closely. I also have this with my iPhone 14 Pro Max. The display models also had such a gap in the store.

I have also seen a gap in many youtube videos about the iPhone 14 Pro (Max).

Comparison also here:

And:

Edit:
You usually have to look very closely and preferably in daylight or with a flashlight....
Indeed. There will always be a gap. Sometimes top , sometimes bottom or a side.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
My pro max doesn’t have that gap. But yeah you can go down the road of why isn’t anything man manufactures 100% perfect.

• Haha
Reactions: Tsepz

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I would exchange it. If you have any amount of OCD it's going to bug you constantly for as long as you have the phone.

JoSeAnToNiO83

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
My pro max doesn’t have that gap. But yeah you can go down the road of why isn’t anything man manufactures 100% perfect.
Yes, nothing made by man is perfect, but quality control is to prevent a product from not conforming to guidelines, but these guidelines seem to have degraded after the iPhone 12 series, to be good enough to be able to sell it. It's as if the build quality of the old models is stricter.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes, nothing made by man is perfect, but quality control is to prevent a product from not conforming to guidelines, but these guidelines seem to have degraded after the iPhone 12 series, to be good enough to be able to sell it. It's as if the build quality of the old models is stricter.
Probably not in apples best interests to loosen quality control standards. Again, nothing man manufactures is perfect and quality control isn’t perfect either.

You’re hyper focused because you got a phone with an issue….just return or exchange it.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Yes. There will always be lemons on a mass produced products, but iPhones are not $100 phones. These are $1000 phones, and thus stricter quality is expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.