Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
If you are taking pics and want to instantly view them on your laptop do you need softwar to do this or will iphoto handle it.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
If you are taking pics and want to instantly view them on your laptop do you need softwar to do this or will iphoto handle it.

iPhoto can't do it. it depends on the camera model, and if the camera maker has any software for you. for instance, for my Nikon D80, i need the nikon Camera Control Pro to do it.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002

Are you wanting to use your laptop to control your camera, and then see the photo directly on the screen?

What kind of camera do you have?

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Are you wanting to use your laptop to control your camera, and then see the photo directly on the screen?

What kind of camera do you have?

i think he wants to connect his camera to the computer, so when the picture is taken, it shows up directly on the computer.. without have to manually transfer.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
i think he wants to connect his camera to the computer, so when the picture is taken, it shows up directly on the computer.. without have to manually transfer.

Right. The only way to do that, (that I'm aware of at least) is to have the laptop take the shot for you.

You can display the photo on any TV that has an "rca" style yellow video input, using the cable that most likely came with the camera.

Again, what kind of camera?

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
i want to be able to use the camera normally, in this case the camera is Nikon D70, the original one, not the new one, and connect if via, firewire, or usb, and see it on the larger laptop screen, as i would on the lcd of the camera right after it take a picture, in real time.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Right. The only way to do that, (that I'm aware of at least) is to have the laptop take the shot for you.

You can display the photo on any TV that has an "rca" style yellow video input, using the cable that most likely came with the camera.

Again, what kind of camera?

with camera control pro, you can manually press the shutter on the camera, and have the picture sent to laptop after shot, you don't have to have the laptop take the shot

i want to be able to use the camera normally, in this case the camera is Nikon D70, the original one, not the new one, and connect if via, firewire, or usb, and see it on the larger laptop screen, as i would on the lcd of the camera right after it take a picture, in real time.

with D70, you need camera control pro to do what you want...

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Do you want to keep the camera connected via firewire during the time you are taking the photos?

FJ

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
iPhoto will import your image and you can view it on screen.

FJ

-_-

then between 2 shots, you need to

-plug camera in
-import photo
-delete all previous taken photo since iphoto can't selectively import
-eject camera
-unplug camera

before taking another image.

clearly that's not what the OP asked for.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Do you want to keep the camera connected via firewire during the time you are taking the photos?

FJ

hey, i'm sure he will take wireless option any day...

and with D70, you can't do firewire, you can only do USB 2.0

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
-_-

then between 2 shots, you need to

-plug camera in
-import photo
-delete all previous taken photo since iphoto can't selectively import
-eject camera
-unplug camera

before taking another image.

clearly that's not what the OP asked for.

I wasn't too sure exactly what he was asking :confused:
I have posted another question.

FJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.