Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
Every Mac I get I always do a stress test for like 30 minutes, let it cool down over night and do it again the next day. Then after that I use the Mac as normal.

Not only to make sure everything is ok with the chip but also to see what the temps are like etc.

In terms of thermal paste there's myths that say to do it and some say it doesn't matter.

I just like like to do it anyway.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
As you should. But know that the results are only reliable predictors if you are simultaneously on an airplane crossing the international dateline. And not many know this but you actually have to cross twice, once in each direction, preferably in different hemispheres.

Reactions: chrfr

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
I do not do this. There is no need. Whatever they do at the factory is good enough and if its not and you have problems, Apple will replace this for you really asap.

I do however employ various methods of 24 hour testing, CPU burn in temp testing, mem speed error testing, etc when building my gaming PCs. But that is not needed for your MBP.

Appletoni

Suspended
Mar 26, 2021
Every Mac I get I always do a stress test for like 30 minutes, let it cool down over night and do it again the next day. Then after that I use the Mac as normal.

Not only to make sure everything is ok with the chip but also to see what the temps are like etc.

In terms of thermal paste there's myths that say to do it and some say it doesn't matter.

Do you stress test your new MacBook's CPU and GPU to heat up the thermal paste and to make sure everything is ok?​

Yes. My friends and I always do a stress test for 24 hours, 365 days per year.
We use Stockfish for the CPU and LC0 for the GPU.
MacBook Pro 16-inch M3 MAX maxed out runs great :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.