Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think Apple will make an external keyboard with atouch bar?

• Yes

Votes: 22 71.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Surely battery life would become an issue with the potential for a wired version, or at least a thunderbolt connection option.

Do you think it will happen, why or why not?

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
They'll eventually want to bring it to the desktop line. I'm guessing when they refresh the units they'll release a touch bar keyboard for it. Battery might be doable with OLED too.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
If there is a desktop version, I hope they keep the F line. There was plenty of room in the laptops for it to coexist with the touch-bar, there is no excuse to not have it on an external keyboard.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
The Magic Keyboard has a more than decent battery life and a very small footprint. A slightly larger keyboard to accommodate the touchbar would have space for a larger battery and so I think it would work. Its the next logical step given Apple Pay on the desktop and the security benefits (plus others) of TouchID. One surely has to be in the pipeline.

Reactions: nstz

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
If there is a desktop version, I hope they keep the F line. There was plenty of room in the laptops for it to coexist with the touch-bar, there is no excuse to not have it on an external keyboard.
Unlikely i think. They will want to promote the touch bar as much as possible, and there are millions of regular keyboards on the market one can buy if F-keys are needed.

Reactions: nstz

Macalway

macrumors 601
Aug 7, 2013
I'm thinking the battery argument. Seems like a dud.

Charging a keyboard everyday might not be fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.