Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel908

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2024
As WWDC 2024 draws closer, we already have possible leaked lists of supported devices for iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and watchOS 11. However, I wonder why there aren’t rumors about the compatibility of macOS 15. So, let’s speculate on which Mac computers will support the next major release. Do you think they will still support Intel? Imagine if they were to drop all Intel models and make compatibility start from M1 and later; it would be crappy from a company like Apple, potentially rendering many capable machines obsolete. I seriously doubt they are going to do that, considering the expensive 2019 Mac Pro, the 16-inch MacBook Pro, and the latest 2020 unibody iMac. I know that Apple Silicon computers are superior in many ways compared to Intel, but that doesn’t mean Intel models aren’t powerful enough to handle most of the work for the majority of users. I'm happy with my 2019 MacBook Pro, and I'm a little concerned they might drop support for the next version of macOS. I would be seriously angry to see a modern machine like mine receive only a few major releases of macOS, especially considering its cost of €1300 in my country. I don’t care about those who say the machine won't stop working and will receive a couple of years of security updates for that macOS version, because it means that the machine has already become "vintage" and won’t last that long, ultimately becoming an obsolete paperweight, not because of hardware limitations, but because of planned obsolescence. Let’s not make excuses; Open Core Legacy Patcher shows that older Intel Macs can run the latest macOS version smoothly with no problems, indicating the issue isn't compatibility overall, but rather a desire to move away from Intel as soon as possible, which is disappointing. I wonder if AI is coming to these machines regardless, but let’s hear your speculations! I’m eager to know what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.