Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which macbook pro do you have?

• 13 inch

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • 15 inch

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Both

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

Eeden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
A friend of mine said today: there are definitely more 13 inch macbook pro's being sold. I'm not entirely sure. What do you think / have?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
A friend of mine said today: there are definitely more 13 inch macbook pro's being sold. I'm not entirely sure. What do you think / have?

I think your friend is right. The 13" is the sweet spot in terms of size and weight, and price. And for many user will be all they need for years of trouble free computing.

The 15" is big and heavy with a heavier power supply, and has more power than many people need.

Scary Spice

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2015
British Columbia
You need to add the choice of 'both' as that is what I need to select.

I just got a 2018 15", but would have bought a 13" if it came with a 32GB option

MilKat10

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
100% sure it’s the 13”. I have been working in various companies the past years (and visited quite a few as consultant) and the 13 inch mbp is the most used by far.
Various factors I would assume:
- Portable >>> Meetings and travel (on / off location)
- Cheaper
- No need for dGPU for most users (revolves more around office package, web development)
- Creatives appreciate the 15” factor and dGPU but are outnumbered by business users or coders

/MilK

Eeden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
100% sure it’s the 13”. I have been working in various companies the past years (and visited quite a few as consultant) and the 13 inch mbp is the most used by far.
Various factors I would assume:
- Portable >>> Meetings and travel (on / off location)
- Cheaper
- No need for dGPU for most users (revolves more around office package, web development)
- Creatives appreciate the 15” factor and dGPU but are outnumbered by business users or coders

/MilK

At my work I see most coders using 15 inch en carrying it all day. But maybe the company only gives out 15 inch. Overall I think the size and weight of the 15 inch is a bit overstated. Especially if you compare to older models that where a few years ago 'extremely portable'.

MilKat10

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
At my work I see most coders using 15 inch en carrying it all day. But maybe the company only gives out 15 inch. Overall I think the size and weight of the 15 inch is a bit overstated. Especially if you compare to older models that where a few years ago 'extremely portable'.
Fair enough

Fair enough, worked at an IT company with 200+ employees and around 70% of developers had a 15”

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
They sell more 13” machines simply because they treat the 15” as an ultra expensive niche - to my knowledge they are the only manufacturer who behaves this way, for most the standard size is 15” with the 13” being an ultraportable offering and perhaps also a 17” powerhouse machine. Across the industry 15” laptops are the most popular screen size by a pretty decent margin

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have to believe there are more 13" for a number of reasons. They're cheaper, they're more mobile and people may not feel the need for all of the power of the 15"

Personally, I couldn't care less. I get what I need, and I'm content with my decision. I'm sure other people are content with theirs :)

Reactions: The Mercurian

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
You reckon the same held with the MBA 11" vs 13"?

hmm possibly not. I think the price difference between 11 and 13 is not so severe.

They sell more 13” machines simply because they treat the 15” as an ultra expensive niche - to my knowledge they are the only manufacturer who behaves this way, for most the standard size is 15” with the 13” being an ultraportable offering and perhaps also a 17” powerhouse machine. Across the industry 15” laptops are the most popular screen size by a pretty decent margin

Can't agree with this. Dell definitely market the 13" XPS as the premier model vs the 15". You can even get a developers edition 13" with linux which you cannot get for the 15"

Eeden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008

Quite possible. I see a lot of average consumers that are buying the 13 inch MacBook Pro vs the the 12 inch macbook. So it is also a way of convincing consumers to spend a bit more on their laptop.

I'm also tempted by the 13 inch portability but find the 15 inch portable enough for professional use. Plus when I'm sitting al day at the office of a client I don't have access tot an external display.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
hmm possibly not. I think the price difference between 11 and 13 is not so severe.

Can't agree with this. Dell definitely market the 13" XPS as the premier model vs the 15". You can even get a developers edition 13" with linux which you cannot get for the 15"
The XPS line is similar to the MBP in that dell try to fit as good internals as they are able (though still offer some stripped down configuration where Apple are excruciatingly uncompromising) into the machines.

Where Apple is very different is they don’t offer a selection of ‘macbooks’ other than the single niche portable 12”. The backbone of dells inspiron lineup, HPs envy lineup etc are the 15”/ 1080p machines, though again they do offer 13 and 17 inch variants.

Quite possible. I see a lot of average consumers that are buying the 13 inch MacBook Pro vs the the 12 inch macbook. So it is also a way of convincing consumers to spend a bit more on their laptop.

I'm also tempted by the 13 inch portability but find the 15 inch portable enough for professional use. Plus when I'm sitting al day at the office of a client I don't have access tot an external display.
I’m definitely firmly on team 15” I’m afraid - if you want more objectivity I’m not your man... having said that I have given 13” machines a try so I know for definite I’m not a fan. I’m also not one of these people who don’t personally like it so rail about how useless they are and how Apple should stop offering them - they’re going to suit some people perfectly, of course, choice is good! I just wish Apple would offer more of it at the 15” screen size :p

Eeden

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
The XPS line is similar to the MBP in that dell try to fit as good internals as they are able (though still offer some stripped down configuration where Apple are excruciatingly uncompromising) into the machines.

Where Apple is very different is they don’t offer a selection of ‘macbooks’ other than the single niche portable 12”. The backbone of dells inspiron lineup, HPs envy lineup etc are the 15”/ 1080p machines, though again they do offer 13 and 17 inch variants.

Small lineup and still the decisions are really hard for us LOL

Reactions: Falhófnir

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You reckon the same held with the MBA 11" vs 13"?

Obviously not since Apple discontinued the 11-inch.

The 11-inch MacBook Air was too close to netbook territory. Productivity with such a small display is quite limiting for many.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.