Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
As the title says, do you use the trackpad on your iPad's keyboard case or do you just use your index finger? I've never owned an iPad but a lot of people say they do serious work on them and I'm wondering how it all works..

Thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I use both, and they complement each other very well.
Scrolling using finger is generally better and apple don’t treat pointer always just like a touch, same as Apple Pencil “touch”.
I do have to complain the gesture trigger almost always fail on me, especially those with multiple fingers. Just couldn’t trigger them. Tried in store, fail. Bought one myself and tried at home, fail. Looking at those YouTube videos triggering those gesture makes me wonder if I got a defect product or sth.

Last edited:

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
The trackpad is really great. I’m someone who doesn’t like trackpads at all. I never use the one on my work laptop (dell) and use an external mouse and keyboard. But the MK trackpad is very intuitive and responsive with iPadOS.
also the new keyboard shortcuts added in iPadOS 15 (beta) are really nice with the keyboard

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Just as @rhinosrcool mention. I use both… all depends on what I’m doing. I don’t have the MK, but I recently purchased the Magic Trackpad 2 after having a Magic Mouse 2 for so long. The gestures respond well… I only wish they were more customization with the pointer control (look of it).

Reactions: rhinosrcool

iGalileo

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2016
Mexico City
I use to be an ”IPad purist” and thought that the ipad was made for touch and the pencil. Now I have a great, tall stand, so I got a keyboard (G915 TKL) and mouse (MX Master 3), and it really is very productive with the iPad Pro 12.9. I really don’t need my MacBook, unless there is some technical requirement that i need a full os for, but this happens on a very rare occasion Now.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
I use the trackpad on the Magic Keyboard most of the time - saves me the hassle of cleaning the display more than once a day and reaching out to touch it was never really a good user experience while on the Keyboard Folio/Case.
Save to say, the MK transformed to iPad Pro from a complimentary device into a quasi-replacement for the MacBook Pro. The M1 is blazing fast, but some software is still way behind. I'm looking at you Pages as I mostly edit docs.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
As others have noted, I used both, plus a standalone Magic Trackpad 2. The MTP2 is my primary tracking method when at my desk, and when I’m using the iPad Pro 12.9” on my lap (when working out of the office), I’ll switch between finger on screen or the MK trackpad, depending on what I’m working on. For fast emails, docs or spreadsheets, it’s easier to use the trackpad so that my hands remain on the same plane as the keyboard, instead of having to lift your hand / arm.

Reactions: Ludatyk

roberthodgson

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I finally was able to try a Magic Keyboard at our local bestbuy and I really like it, but the cost is an issue at the moment as its only been about 60 days since i spent almost 2000 on the Ipad 12.9 M1 :)

skyyo

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
I finally was able to try a Magic Keyboard at our local bestbuy and I really like it, but the cost is an issue at the moment as its only been about 60 days since i spent almost 2000 on the Ipad 12.9 M1 :)
Try out the Logitech Combo Touch for iPad. I have used magic keyboard as well and this one blows magic keyboard away. Only downside is it takes up a little more desk space and not as stable on lap. Love it way more than magic keyboard! https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logite...ple-ipad-5th-gen-sand/6468038.p?skuId=6468038

Reactions: Corso99

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
When I use a Bluetooth keyboard (Apple), I use with mouse but often use my finger as well. I don’t like integrated keyboards because when I use one I typically have my iPad in portrait mode. It’s one of the reasons it works out better for me than the layout of the always landscape laptops and folio / Magic keyboards.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
As the title says, do you use the trackpad on your iPad's keyboard case or do you just use your index finger? I've never owned an iPad but a lot of people say they do serious work on them and I'm wondering how it all works..
All. The iPad is such a versatile machine and a lot of that has to do with the fact that it has so many different input methods. So in a session of "serious" work then I'll go from keyboard shortcuts to trackpad to touch to pencil simply because the options are there.

Last edited:

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
I use my keyboard and mouse for a work machine not my sidepiece as intended…Apple seen you guys coming lol

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
The tablet is meant for touch screen if you use it with the keyboard case you might as well buy a MacBook, apple should make the MacBooks touch screen as it’s proven to work

Reactions: jsmith1

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
If I use it as a tablet, I use the touch screen. However when I use it with keyboard, I do use external mouse. It is annoying for me to have to reach out to touch the screen while typing. Problem is I do not find the mouse experience nice. The UI is clearly touch and not for mouse and for me personally mouse usage is mediocre and more like compromise with iPadOS than enjoyable experience.

Cannot say if it is better with trackpad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.