Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Hi folks,

You are with your friends outside appreciating the world, the group is having a fantastic time and has accepted you as one of theres. But eventually your passion gets the better of you and your hand reaches for your camera. You see a view that is so breathtaking that you must take a photo, but being obsessive it has to be a great photo and not just a 'snap', so you take you're time to get the exposure, composition and lighting to perfection. Meanwhile your friends have walked on and do not understand why it takes so long to take a picture.

I would like to know if people have been in that situation and how have your friends coped with your passion?

However, if I am the only one then I think I need new friends :)

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Obsessions and friends don't mix - unless they have similar obsessions!

If you want to keep your original friends, you'll have to learn to meet them half-way (the pre-requisite of any relationship).

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
I used to get comments alot from friends. But then things started to happen that turned them over.........

One friend, that suddenly had to pay for his entire wedding saved a ton of money when I offered to replace a professional photographer.

Another friend, who was having a hard time selling her house, had me take photos for the on line listing and flyer. And all of the sudden, her realtor recieved many more calls on the property.

Family portraits, hanging on walls, gradually start turning into my photos instead.

Now my wife on the other hand. She can't stand having her picture taken, and would love nothing more than to have my camera implode.........

Jan 30, 2006
All my friends think I am crazy. They can´t understand how I spent soo much in a camera that is so big, and, they swear, takes the same photos they can take with their cell-phone. There are some exceptions, but most of them believe I am nuts (and I never told them I had just spent even more than with the camera buying a lens:p).

The same happened when I bought my first Mac and everyone started telling me Mac were useless (the usual stuff about being expensive, having just one click button, etc.). But now, after 1-2 years, most of them are buying Macs.:)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
This is why I go out to photograph the landscape on my own. If I need to sit on a rock for an hour, waiting for the light to become 'interesting', then so be it. If I'm thinking about somebody else's welfare, I can't give 100% of my attention to a pic...

On the other hand, if I'm with friends or family, the camera doesn't get in the way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.